ATC SCM 50

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I am thinking to buy the ATC SCM 50 passive but I got an offer for a second hand ATC SCM 50 Active. the buyer told me that a active speaker will be always better as the passive (same mode) as the amplification adn crosover was done like a suite after your size.

is this true? will I have a better result wiht the active and for exampe a USD 4.000 pre amp rather than the passive wiht my Gryphon Diablo?

waht do you think?

I can buy the active for USD 14.800.

thank you in advance

kr

Eduardo

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
That seems expensive for a second hand pair even latest spec and in good condition. But yes IMO the active version will be substantially better than the passive.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
ebentjerodt said:
yes, but then I have to pay a lot of taxes to get them in to tyhe land. about 40% plus the transport.

Ok, sounds like Tax is expensive for you, but might be worth looking into. Used, nearly new scm50asl's can be had for around £6,500.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The price seems too expensive to me. That's only a 20% discount off the new price, which I don't think is enough for 2nd hand kit. Aim for at least 50% off the new price.

For $14,800 you could buy a 2nd hand pair in the UK, fly to England and fly back again with them, or possibly bring them home on a couple of cruise ships, and still have a lot of money left over.

And of course someone selling active speakers would say that active is always better, wouldn't they? In reality it's a big fat "it depends" on whether active or passive sounds better for any particular speaker. For ATC 50's I'd say go active if you can get a good deal on an active pair.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
so, finaly I deside not to go for the acive speakers as I really love the Gryphon Diablo. Unfortunately I was not able to get second hand passive ATC 50 and the new once are really a bit to much for now, so I have finally 3 speakers to decide

1. ATC SCM 20 TOWER

2. PMC FACT 8

3. SONUS FABER CREMONA M

waht do you think?

kr

Eduardo

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
ebentjerodt said:
so, finaly I deside not to go for the acive speakers as I really love the Gryphon Diablo. Unfortunately I was not able to get second hand passive ATC 50 and the new once are really a bit to much for now, so I have finally 3 speakers to decide

1. ATC SCM 20 TOWER

2. PMC FACT 8

3. SONUS FABER CREMONA M

waht do you think?

kr

Eduardo

Can you audition them?

I see you have scm19's. The scm20's will be very similar to the 19's, but have better high frequency performance. They also have a slightly better bass performance due to more solid build.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Tho overall if you want to move away from the sound of the 19s the 20s are unlikely to be for you, they will have very similar characteristics.

I found the PMCs very dry, but maybe this is the sound you're after. Don't know the SF.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I used to own the Fact 8's but didn't get on with them in the long term and replaced them with my current speakers. I'd echo Ben's comments - are you trying to move away from the ATC 'sound' or do you want more of it? If so, the 20's would seem to be the logical choice (if you can't audition).

But something tells me the Gryphon and SF would be very special indeed.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully AlmaataKZ will be able to expand on this further. :)

But I think that he has listened to both the active and passive versions of the SCM50 together before buying the active version because it sounded better.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I heard the 20 but I was not convince to change them for my 19. they were quite similar and I was looking for a bigger sound as my living room is quite big. I heard the PMC (and really like them) but not with my system. Tomorrow the dealer is bringing them to my place to make an audition so this will be very revealing.

I have not heard the Sonus Faber yet, but the price I am getting for the PMC make it very difficult to look away!

kr

Eduardo

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I heard the cremona and fact 8. All imo: Cremona has very pleasant, warm sound with very slightly emphasised treble, finish is superb. Fact 8 are very boomy, bloated mid bass, very low vfm (you do not get much in terms of drivers for a lot of money), the cabinets and finish are superb. I also heard active and passive atc 50s side by side at the Heathrow show. This was my very early days in terms of exploring actives. I remember I did not hear a night and day difference, very little in fact, but I remember passives seemed to have a bit more bass which I later understood to be boom.

i have never heard atc 20s.

if you are looking for good actives a bit cheaper than atcs, have you considered avi adm 9s or 40? I heard the 9s and was very impressed. They have very clear, dynamic sound with well controlled bass. Given the size, granted, not as powerful as atc 50s but still the adm 9s are superb imo and have more than enough power.

Have not heard the 40s but they should be good too. Get more info on avi forum.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
AlmataaKZ, unfortunately we do not have the adm speakers in Chile. I finally deside to stay wiht passive speakers as I really like my Gryphon. so the options will be The Cremona M or the fact 8. waht will you choose between this 2?

thank you in advance

Eduardo

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I cannot recommend any of the two as none of them is a high performance accurate speaker. If you are looking for accuracy, you need to look further. If you want a particular coloured sound, only you can decide what sounds good to your taste. I also have no idea how the Gryphon will work with them. Cremonas have a more classic finish, fact 8 have modern sleek styling, as you know.

TRENDING THREADS