ATC scm 11s new

expat

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all Im living in Thailand now and ive found someone who does tthe new shape ATC scm 11s , looking for matching advice , amp , cd, streamer etc , any advice greatly received.

Hi expat.

I am afraid your question, like many here on the forum, is far too generalised to be able to answer. You say you have found a supplier for the speakers, pressume this is a hifi dealer. Are you absolutely sure these speakers will suit your listening room? If so you should just go and audition amplifiers etc whatever you can and make up your own mind.

many members of this forum will have their own ideas as to what sounds good to them but this may not sound good to you. they also have no idea what make of equipment is available to you in Thailand (unless they happen to be from Thailand - I know a few that are and perhaps you need to wait for these guys to respond to your post)

It would also be a very good idea if you have a budget figure in mind. *biggrin*

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hello, it would be handy to know your budget, room size, musical tastes to give a more useful answer.

We've got great results with the SCM 11 using Roksan's Caspian CD player and amplifier. These are aound £1900 each. If that's too much the ATCs also sound good at the end of Naim's Nait 5si and even Rega's ELex-R. As for sources, price compatible CD players from Naim, Cyrus and Roksan work well and if you're into streamers, Naim, Linn and Cyrus do a good job there.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
100W RMS per channel continuous output, 20Hz-20kHz at 8 ohms, THD <0.5%, both channels driven.

If you can find a Harman Kardon HK990 ex demo or second hand, your troubles are over.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
ATC SCM 11 - one of the best bookshelfs ever.. I would pair them with ATC own SIACD which is 100 wpc amplifier, pre amp 2 line level analogue inputs, CD Player, USB coaxial and optical inputs, analogue pre out, headphone amp and comes with 6 years warranty.. simple and elegant soulution and sounds big and involving.. this set up about £4000...

... and this is not what I would buy :) if that's my money I would go for new SCM20ASL PRO actives @ £4300 [ 250 wpc of enormous power, superb clarity, prodigous, deep and tuneful yet sublime bass].. that would be [ and will be one day] my last speaker/ amp purchase ever. period.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi Expat,

I agree with most (all?) of the replies. It all depends on room size, acoustics and most important of all, how much are you wanting to spend.

I bought the SCM11s a couple of months ago and they are superb ....... in my room ..... with my streamer and amp (Linn Majik + Roksan Caspian power).

If you read my other post (over-damped room) you will also read about how I needed to tweak their position to get the best sound. I don't think this is because they are tricky to position; I've just got a pig of a room acoustically-speaking.

Feed them a good source and with an amplifier that has some grunt (lots of technical stuff here!) and you won't be disappointed. However, try to hear them at home if at all possible (which goes for all Hi Fi purchases).

Hope this helps,

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I am about to start a similar journey to the OP; replacing my 22yr old marantz pm34 and tannoy603 with something new and exciting for my impending big birthday next year.*wacko*

My room size is 4mx5m or 4mx6m depending on whether the boss allows me into the lounge or dining room! My music selection is quite varied Elvis Costello, Fratellis, Housemartins, Martin Stephenson and under duress Duran*dash1* Duran. 99% of listening is through sonos connect, and all files are lossless.

My budget is not fixed but would consider £2k to £3.5k in total. I am happy to buy exdemo items if that brings the right things together at the right price.

Before starting auditions, i wanted to 'create a starting point' from which i could then amend as the journey of auditions progressed.

I intended to start with an amp with a built in dac ( cyrus 8dac or nad c390dd) assuming that the dacs in these amps would be an improvement on the sonos inbuilt dac. I do not want a seperate dac.

My next idea was a standmount such as ls50, scm11 or pmc21/22.

I notice that the general advice is that the smc11 require 'decent' amplification, and i think 100w was mentioned in the thread. Would that rule out the Cyrus 8dac?, or is the 'lean' nature of cyrus a poor match anyway? I also note that several people have recommended Caspian amp as a good match; but that would mean using the inbuilt sonos dac (maybe theLHC might have a view on it's suitability?)

I enjoyed reading Pedro's journey, and am hoping to get the same positive result over the next few months*yahoo*

TRENDING THREADS