Assimilation almost complete ....

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Now that I have my Squeezebox Touch and digital amp, the next logical stage of the process is to begin the recording of my vinyl (what little of it I have). I went shopping around for a 96 kHz / 24 bit capable recording device and after having a quick look at the Rega Fono A2D, NAD PP-3 and Project USB Box Record, I finally settled on ... this little device (clicky) since it offered far more flexibility beyond recording my vinyl .. I can use it as a headphone amp, A2D, analogue / digital mixer etc. I've no doubt that there are better devices for recording vinyl (any other suggestions?), but the price was too good (recent 25% off offer), and the quality from recent reviews seems good enough for me. Even the internal components are of good quality (if you follow the review links, you'll see some internal PCB shots and a very in-depth review)

I've just managed to get to grips with it in a little over an hour, and after a little trial and much error, I have made a single recording (some Gato Barbieri) off my Linn Axis that I'm sufficiently happy with. I recorded at 96/24 and normalised the recording, and I have to say I'm impressed and didn't notice much (if any) degradation from the original analogue playback on the Axis. That said it wasn't a very detailed comparison and involved a lot of cable swapping.

I'll do some more experimentation and comparisons over the next few weeks, before embarking on the bulk vinyl ripping job. Has anyone else been through or considering going through the same process I am? What were your experiences? Good, bad or indifferent and what equipment did you use?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
IMG_0112.jpg

UA-25 audio interface as USB DAC and preamp to my monitors. A very flexible bit of kit.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
IMG_0112.jpg

UA-25 audio interface as USB DAC and preamp to my monitors. A very flexible bit of kit.

Nice bit of kit and a good solution .... I did ponder on whether to get one of the studio bits of kit (E-MU 0404), but for the price and spec, and went with a consumer product from the same manufacturer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts