Are the Kraftwerk 2009 reissues compressed?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I was playing my original copy of Autobahn yesterday, and some of the sounds really popped out of the speakers at me, so I played my 2009 reissue, and it just didn't seem to have the same effect on me. The difference I'm talking about is like the difference between a compressed and uncompressed soundtrack to a film.

I was really impressed with the Man Machine reissue, but I'm starting to think I've got it wrong, and I should sell all my Kraftwerk reissues and get some top original copies.

Any thoughts?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I believe they are 'remixed. I remembered reading a complaint by someone who'd bought the set, but some noises here and there sounded a little more forward, or back into the mix etc. Apparently the current masters are the way that they wanted to do them (including some artwork) rather than the way the studio wanted to do things.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
They're not great imo. I borrowed Computer World off a friend and found some trcks are spoiled by NR pumping because it sounds like someone didn't calibrate the tape player's EQ properly before ripping it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm really undecided about them, but after trying the comparison again, I can hear little difference, other than the pops from the original. :?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Any idea if there were any 1990s remasters? If so it might be worthwhile hunting them down. I'm sure there are exceptions but I often feel the 1990s was a golden period for digital transfers. By and large they'd mastered the fine art of 'ripping' old analogue tapes with very high fidelity and the loudness wars had yet to truly start in earnest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts