Are speaker grilles dishwasher safe?

Here's a weird issue I'm facing. I've got Monitor Audio Trimless 200 in-wall speakers. Monitor Audio says that the speaker grilles are paintable, so my decorator tried to paint it with a water based emulsion. But the paint didn't catch very well, leaving ugly patches. As they're water based, I've put the min warm water with a mild soap.

If this doesn't work, is it safe to put the grilles in a dishwasher? Maybe I can just go for rinse cycle without soap. There's an acoustic cloth stuck at the back of the grille (which has also got the paint). Will this be safe? Any suggestions?

scene

Regarding the acoustic cloth. Don't Monitor Audio supply a replacement cloth with their CWT speakers, which is supposed to be used to replace the original cloth once painted? This being the case, I wouldn't worry about the cloth too much...

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Here's a weird issue I'm facing. I've got Monitor Audio Trimless 200 in-wall speakers. Monitor Audio says that the speaker grilles are paintable, so my decorator tried to paint it with a water based emulsion. But the paint didn't catch very well, leaving ugly patches. As they're water based, I've put the min warm water with a mild soap.

If this doesn't work, is it safe to put the grilles in a dishwasher? Maybe I can just go for rinse cycle without soap. There's an acoustic cloth stuck at the back of the grille (which has also got the paint). Will this be safe? Any suggestions?

Did the painter follow MA's instructions for painting the grilles, including removing the grilles from the speaker, removing the scrim grille cloth from the back of the grille, spray-painting or stippling the paint onto the grilles then, when dry, fitting the spare scrim cloth the company supplies and re-fitting the grilles to the speakers?

If not, it may be worth following this procedure, sanding the grilles with fine paper and then priming them before re-painting, or contacting MA for advice and/or new grilles. Can't help feeling dishwashers and the like are only going to make more of a mess of the grilles, and make them even more difficult to repaint.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't, depends on what they are made of. You can get brush cleaner to clean dryed paint of brushs check if it's not going to harm, say the plastic grille. Then you can get special spray paint for plastic incl a suitable primer.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Your decorator should've known better than to paint the grilles with emulsion. *shok*

They're going to be tough to get back to how they should be but if you can, follow Spiny Norman's advice, a fine mist sprayer is what's needed, and a slow build up of coats. As for the acoustic cloth, well, if you paint material with emulsion, it's just going to go hard.

If I lived near to you, I'd say sack your painter and employ me. *biggrin*

spiny norman said:
Did the painter follow MA's instructions for painting the grilles, including removing the grilles from the speaker, removing the scrim grille cloth from the back of the grille, spray-painting or stippling the paint onto the grilles then, when dry, fitting the spare scrim cloth the company supplies and re-fitting the grilles to the speakers?

If not, it may be worth following this procedure, sanding the grilles with fine paper and then priming them before re-painting, or contacting MA for advice and/or new grilles. Can't help feeling dishwashers and the like are only going to make more of a mess of the grilles, and make them even more difficult to repaint.

No, he just painted it, with the cloth at the back. But yes, he removed the grilles from the speakers and painted the grilles separately. Have you got a link to Monitor Audio's instructions?

Sliced Bread

probably a bit of a lottery BB. If you do use a dishwasher you might want to use the lowest temperature and also remove them before the drying starts. The drying can get pretty hot and you don't want to shrink the material.

I wouldn't do it personally unless they were absolutely wrecked.

Thanks for the link. The painter is evidently scared to try again. So I'll leave it unpainted for now and do it again at a later date.

I put the grilles on rinse only cycle (no soap, no salt, no rinse aid). It's metal. It has improved, but not fully gone yet. The painter has taken it with him to remove at home, and will bring back later today.

Jigsaw

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
just give monitor audio a call. they are very helpful and will be able to give you correct advice. i rang them regarding their speakers and they were very helpful

Thanks! yes, I spoke to Monitor Audio on the phone couple of days ago. They were very helpful. They've advised using a spray can to paint. If for any reason the grilles get ruined, it costs only £15 per grille including delivery. The painter has taken the grilles with him to spray paint.

TRENDING THREADS