Arcaydis DM1

matthewpiano

I'm saving up for a speaker upgrade to make the most of the NAD kit and am interested in giving the Arcaydis DM1 a go when I've got the money.

I've read the review which is very encouragin indeed, but has anyone else heard them, and has anyone heard them paired with NAD amplification?

The other options would be a pair of Dali Lektor 2s or B&W 685s.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Have you thought about the M/A RX2's as well MP?

I have to say that when I demo'd these side by side the other week with the B&W 685's they were better IMO. Much better overall soundstage, betgter bass depth and control and a rerally smooth and detailed midrange/treble.

The B&W 685's are still damned good though
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

have read good reports on the DM1's ... not sure if they are avail from hifi retailers as think I read somewhere that they can only be purchased directly from the supplier (I may be wrong)

so Matthew, if so, that means that you may not have the chance to audition before you buy

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yeah they are an 'online purchase' only but similar/same to the EB Acoustics set-up; return them in 30days if they dont gel with you and your system
emotion-1.gif

I do definitly think they're worth an audition although I think production has ceased currently due to demand so check that out...

I think for similar money though you could take a look at some decent 2nd hand B&W CM1's as well
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I still prefer floorstanders .... if you add the cost of decent stands, you can get pretty good floorstanders

plus, if you place the speakers on stands, they take up the same space as floorstanders, so don't see any advantage

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
d_a_n1979:...although I think production has ceased currently due to demand so check that out...

Nothing on their website to indicate that.

Where did you get the info?

That was the case a week or so back so it looks like that they've started up again
emotion-1.gif

They had put sales on hold as they had said that they had a lot of orders to get through...

matthewpiano

dim_span:
I still prefer floorstanders .... if you add the cost of decent stands, you can get pretty good floorstanders

plus, if you place the speakers on stands, they take up the same space as floorstanders, so don't see any advantage

Not keen on floorstanders. I have a pair of Q 1030i and they are very good but I prefer the tighter sound of good standmounts. To me the inherent sound of a standmount is an advantage.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:dim_span:

Not keen on floorstanders. I have a pair of Q 1030i and they are very good but I prefer the tighter sound of good standmounts. To me the inherent sound of a standmount is an advantage.

I'm in this conundrum currently MP...

Not sure whether to get decent standmounts on decent stands or go all out for the floorstanders!

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
For a similar price to the Arcaydis DM1s, Superfi currently have the AE Aegis Neo 3 for £279.95.

However, I'm with matthewpiano - I prefer the sound of standmounts (probably because I'm listening in a tiny room).

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Also, second the shout for Rega RS1 by Inter 84. More expensive at £390 but Moorgate Acoustics currently have an ex-dem pair for £249. Worth auditioning at that price within your budget.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
dim_span:I still prefer floorstanders .... if you add the cost of decent stands, you can get pretty good floorstanders
Arcaydis DM1 (£286 inc. p&p) + Partington Super Dreadnought (£150) = £436

Moorgate Acoustics currently have ex-dem Rega RS3 (cherry/rosewood/black) for £499

dim_span:plus, if you place the speakers on stands, they take up the same space as floorstanders, so don't see any advantage
You could do the unspeakable and not place them on stands. Then to clear your conscience a little, use granite chopping boards
emotion-2.gif

matthewpiano

The Partingtons would be a future upgrade but initially my Atacama Nexus 6 stands wouold have to do.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Shortlist is now Arcaydis DM1, Rega RS1, MA RX1/2, Focal 706v, and B&W 685. I have a feeling the RX2s might be a little too large though. Any further ideas or thoughts, particularly in relation to goo synergy with the NAD kit, are very welcome

This won't happen straight away. I'm taking my time. Any future upgrades are going to be very measured and the result of long consideration. The fast-switching days are well and truly over.

A

Anonymous

May not go with the Nad's but theres a good deal on pair of Epos M12i at Superfi, maybe worth a try.

T

the record spot

I'd seek out some Neutron IV or Vs and if you can find them, the apparently excellent Quadral Pico. It was £650, but you might find it for way less - little known brand, but the reviews were good for the Pico.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:dim_span:

excuse my ignorance .... does that mean that good standmounted speakers have a 'tighter sound' than good floorstanders?

matthewpiano

From my experience and in small to medium space, yes. I also find standmounts are better at soundstaging/imaging. This is one of the things that makes the Focals attractive - they were excellent at these aspects when I heard them some time ago, but I need to hear them again.

However, it is all down to personal taste and experience.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
MP, I think Epos is a good suggestion. I think the warmish NAD sound would mate well with the more forward Epos sound. Another fantastic choice would be B&W CM1. I know they are more money, but if you can swing it, they are extremely good for the money and sound incredible with the NAD gear.

A

Anonymous

The Triangle Cometes might also go well.
Personally I'd stick with what you've got for a bit then move up a class. All this gear swapping can't be cheap.

matthewpiano

Thanks Tarquinh. Will look into the Triangles.

In terms of going up a level I don't feel the need to with the electronics but I do think I can get more out of the NAD stuff by going up to better speakers. Whilst the Wharfedales are very good they are still only a very entry level speaker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts