Arcam reliability

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been watching Arcam Amps and CD players on Ebay recently and a worryingly high percentage are being sold with faults. Does anyone know if they are particularly unreliable as a brand? I am tempted to bid but for faultless Arcams but if their suspect, maybe not. Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Probably more indicative of the relatively large numbers of amps Arcam sold, and the likelihood that the majority are still working well and being enjoyed by their owners.

A

Anonymous

renny:I have been watching Arcam Amps and CD players on Ebay recently and a worryingly high percentage are being sold with faults. Does anyone know if they are particularly unreliable as a brand? I am tempted to bid but for faultless Arcams but if their suspect, maybe not. Thanks.

I've noticed that too, but to be fair, trawling through various other makes they aren't alone!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I rest my

bag_0016_1.jpg

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I've had mixed experiences unfortunately. I had an Alpha 8SE CD player which had to be repaired twice, a Diva CD93T which had to be repaired once, and I my current CD37 occasionally stops playing after 2 or 3 tracks as if it believes that is all there is on the disc. Hopefully the latter won't turn out to be a problem of any significance (it's only happened 2 or 3 times in 6 months), but it's especially gutting as when I was upgrading I had consciously decided against another Arcam because of the past reliability issues, but I ended up going with the CD37 because I preferred it for sound. A mate of mine bought a CD192 about the same time as I bought my CD37 and that had to go back and be repaired almost immediately.

On the amp front I have had an Alpha 8 and 8p, A32 and (currently) a P35 and a P38, none of which have had any problems, but I did buy a Delta 290 from ebay a couple of months ago for a second system and that suffers from intermittent crackle/cut-out in one channel, which I believe is a fairly common problem with the source selection knob that affects Delta 290s and Alpha 9s.

I like Arcam kit, so it saddens me to say this, but I'm really not convinced about their reliability.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Small problem with the tray on my Alpha 6, but that was a general fault with every manf that used the same transport. An £18 replacement cogged wheel from Japan and a few skinned knuckles and it's back as good as new!

A

Anonymous

I think SOME units/products do have known weaknesses, but I imagine most brands are the same. My CD73T had major problems and looking on forums it seems this model is known to have a tendency to failure - usually to do with the Sony-made drive I believe and possibly problems with the laser unit as well, The symptoms of this are increasing refusal to play more and more CDs. I have to say, though, that my experience with Arcam's customer support/repair staff has been A1 - even though my CD73T was 3 months out of its generous 3 year warranty, Arcam repaired it for free, and this was not a minor repair - when it came back the report sheet said they had replaced the drive unit, laser and DACs - good one Arcam !

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Arcam A65+ bought new in 2002. Retired to loft at present but perfect working order from day 1.
Arcam CD72T bought new in 2002. Retired to parent's loft, but again, perfect working order from day one.
Arcam CD192 bought used in May this year. Working fine, never skipped a beat.
Arcam A85 bought used a couple of months ago. Again, working fine, no problems what-so-ever.

I listen to music at least every day with a 'Y' in the name.

Conversely, my father-in-law, who listens to music with a regularity rivalled only be the 29th of February, had to take his C.A 640C back to Richer Sounds with a problem about 18 months after buying it. His 540A has not been a problem though AFAIK.

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't the Sale Of Goods Act covered this type of thing anyway?

Sale of Goods Act, Faulty Goods.

Relevant or Related Legislation:

Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:

Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

My CD72T (bought second hand) is a few years old now is still ging strong and has never refused to play a disc...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts