Arcam irdoc vs Pure i-20 for Arcam AVR280

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I currently have an i-20 connected via coax to my AVR280. I am quite happy with it to be honest but I was wondering if the Arcam irdock could be an improvement since it is the same brand as my current AVR. Anyone had experience with this one or had the chance to compare both?

Thanks

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I haven't compared both but they aren't the same type of device. The I20 is a digital dock which offers a built-in dac for emergencies only. It extracts the digital data from the ipod in the same way as the Onkyo NS-D1 or wadia transports and is really designed to be used with the optical or coax digital output connected to an outboard dac . The arcam is a conventional dock with no digital output. It uses the dac that's built in to your ipod, which is not of the best quality, and tries to make the best of it with high grade components. If you're using the I20 with its own dac then you'd be better off spending any spare cash on a new dac. If you want the arcam sound then try the arcam rdac. It's had great reviews.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
jacobmorrison said:
I haven't compared both but they aren't the same type of device. The I20 is a digital dock which offers a built-in dac for emergencies only. It extracts the digital data from the ipod in the same way as the Onkyo NS-D1 or wadia transports and is really designed to be used with the optical or coax digital output connected to an outboard dac . The arcam is a conventional dock with no digital output. It uses the dac that's built in to your ipod, which is not of the best quality, and tries to make the best of it with high grade components. If you're using the I20 with its own dac then you'd be better off spending any spare cash on a new dac. If you want the arcam sound then try the arcam rdac. It's had great reviews.

Thanks, as I mentioned in my post the i-20 is currently connected to the AVR via coax, thus the amp DAC is the one doing the conversion. This is why I have serious doubts that the Arcam irdock would provide better sound.

TRENDING THREADS