Arcam fmj A39 speaker pairing advice?

Extcon

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
My first post so hope in the right forum...

I just bought an Arcam fmj A39 integrated amp unheard. Hopefully it will be delivered early Jan 2016. I'm looking for speaker pairing audition advice new or used are in scope for purchase. Price range 1000-2000£.

Some background. I have a set of Audiovector M3 Super speakers currently used with a Yamaha RX-A3040 AVR. I previously used these with an Arcam A28 which I regretted selling as I really liked the sound combo. To ease my mind I bought a demo Arcam A39 unit. I will keep the Audiovector speakers hooked up to my home cinema and therefore looking to buy another set of hifi speakers and looking for advice where to start given the above.

I listen to most kinds of music including pop but for dedicated listening I tend to listen to contemporary jazz eg fourplay and classical music eg Mozart

Thanks, Carl

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hear are some brands to consider:

- Kef R Series / LS50
- Harbeth
- Spendor
- Sonus Faber
- Opera
- Vienna Acoustics
- Opera
- ATC
- Proac
- Diapason

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Esra said:
Kef LS50 or Magnepan 1.7 could be a nice fit for example.You can ad a subwoofer later if you think bass is unsufficient.

Two good suggestions. Both speakers thrive on high current, which the A39 has in spades. If the 1.7 is over budget, the new(ish) MG .7 could be an alternative.

Maggies do need some space around them to really shine. Though you could put them close to the wall, and then pull them out for 'proper' listening.

Extcon

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all for taking the time to read and respond I really appreciate it!

Will start audition KEF (which I didn't have even on peripheral radar, been Arcam-Audiovector indoctrinated since the late 90's).

I can add that I have no dedicated listening room so needs to fit in my living room 4x6 meters (13x20 ft) with speakers along the short wall and a wide 2.2m open entry along one of the long walls. Not ideal acousticly but a reality (same room as home cinema so potentially lots of speaker elements interference).

Extcon

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions! I have no previous personal experience with Maggies but I recall hearing somewhere that the "elements"/ribbons have a limited finite expected lifespan. Is this a valid consideration point when auditioning or selecting speakers? (If so when would it even come into play?)

Merry X-Mas!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Extcon said:
Thanks for your suggestions! I have no previous personal experience with Maggies but I recall hearing somewhere that the "elements"/ribbons have a limited finite expected lifespan. Is this a valid consideration point when auditioning or selecting speakers? (If so when would it even come into play?)

Merry X-Mas!

This is an issue if you consider second hand older models (SMGa, MG-1 or -2, ...), where the wire voice coils come loose off the mylar diaphragm (after 10-20 years). The current models use a different, better glue. So that shouldn't be a problem whatsoever no more.

As for KEF, do try the LS50s. I have them. And I like them. A lot. However, as you are used to floorstanders, you might find them bass light. In which case the R300 might be a good alternative.

If you can spot a demo pair out of Cno's list, give it a go. Some nice suggestions there too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts