ARCAM FMJ A19 and KEF q300

mbromers1

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone can help.

Looking to upgrade my amp from Arcam 8R to the Arcam A19.

Has anyone paired these bits of kit together and if so are the results positive.

Ideally would visit a dealer but logistics proving difficult!

Thanks

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
The Q300 can stand up to amps which are many times its price, if matched correctly. And I think that they match well with the A19.

I'm not an Arcam fan, I should say - I know WHF loved the amp and I'm not saying it isn't a bargain. But the business about being careful with partnering equipment is a red flag.

I would not spend £600 on an amp. For me, you get so much more if you stretch to a Kandy or the new Nait 5is - and you don't lose that much if you save the cash and go for something from NAD or Rega a little lower down (or, if you don't have a DAC already, the NAD 356Bee, at almost the same price, is a far better choice - the amp may - MAY - be a step behind, but it includes a decent DAC, which if you don't have one already, will most likely improve your sound noticeably irrespective of the amp).

I feel like the Arcam is a bit bland - not so different from a home cinema amp (except with less power, and lots of money spent on the fancy metal case and the headphone amp, which are wasted unless that's a big priority for you). I'm not great fan of the Cyrus 6a either, but at least you would never call it bland.

It's a tough price point. Look how few amps at that price get five stars from WHF. And I would argue the ones that do don't deserve them - they either have a very specific sound or 'need very specific partnering equipement' and that sort of reviewing gymnastics.

Cno is right. A pair of Focal 806V is a great match for Arcam. The kefs had all the accolades on WHFI, and some hi-fi "snobs" (not Cno) will say Focals are too bright, too this and too that... irrelevent. It's all about synergy and Arcam/Focal is fab in that area.

Kef and Arcam is a very good combo, also, but the Focals give you a very viable alternative around that price level. They're also front ported so should be a little easier with placement.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
If I were looking to set up a (relatively) budget setup from scratch now I'd definitely be considering the A19 paired with some R100s or Focals (I'd even audition the R300s, but suspect they might be a bit mutch for the little Arcam). Then I'd be considering using an Arcam irDac with the power supply provided for it in the A19.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
On the contrary, Arcam had the R300s singing at last year's Bristol Show, and for me was one of the more enjoyable rooms, so the A19 will have no problem at all with the R300s. The Q300s will be a breeze. I'd also give the Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s a try.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SpursGator said:
I thought he was looking to upgrade the amp, not the speakers?

You may be right, but it's hard to know if he already owns the Q300s or has decided that is what he's going to buy......I suggested the R100s in case it was the latter, and that seemed to divert things a bit. :oops:

mbromers1

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
thanks for all coomments.

i alreay have q300 and was looking to pair with amp.

am leaning towards roksan kandy bt 2.

anyone heard vinyl through the built in phono stage?

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts