Arcam FMJ A19 Amp possible fault

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks

After purchasing the amp a week ago I've noticed that when I've finished listening i always put the amp into mute mode and turn the volume down.

so when i either come down in the morning and/or arrive at home in the evening I've noticed the amp has put itself into standby mode.

im not sure if this a power saver mode but theres nothing to say there is a power saver mode in the manual.

I've tried all day to ring arcam only to hear an engaged tone I've emailed them nothing from them yet

any ideas if this is a fault.

i spoke to richer sounds today from where i purchased the amp they were very helpful and said they will investigate and ring me back an hour or 2 later they rang me back and said that neither could they get through to arcam but spoke to an engineer and suggested that it could be a power saver mode but would try and find out for sure

apart from this issue im finding this amp to be fantastic the sound is simply amazing.

regards

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
In review: http://highfidelity.pl/@main-355&lang=en there is:

"To make it environmentally friendly, the device is equipped with an automatic switch off that puts the amplifier into sleep mode after a certain period with no input signal."

... so I assume that is the reason it goes to sleep. ;)

But there is also: "We can set the timer value or switch off this function altogether."

But more interesting thing to me is why do you do that every day (put it in mute)? Why dont you yust turn it off?

churchill1963

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi

By putting it on mute and turning the volume down, are you trying to run the amp in? If so how many hours? Most battery power items have built-in power saver so arcam may have done the same (eco friendly, etc)?

As previous post, why not just turn off?

I would be interested to find out more about the FMJ A19 as it is one of the amps i am looking at to go with a Marantz SA7001, NA7004, Pro-ject turntable and LS50s

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
churchill1963 said:
Hi

By putting it on mute and turning the volume down, are you trying to run the amp in? If so how many hours? Most battery power items have built-in power saver so arcam may have done the same (eco friendly, etc)?

As previous post, why not just turn off?

I would be interested to find out more about the FMJ A19 as it is one of the amps i am looking at to go with a Marantz SA7001, NA7004, Pro-ject turntable and LS50s

I've had the arcam a19 for a while now and it is an amazing sounding amp loads of volume clarity and definition worth demoing.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link to the review to the Amp

That sounds quite reassuring that there is no fault with the amp, just a saver mode. it would be nice for arcam to put a note in the manual though.

The reason i asked was first i wasn't sure if there was a fault and secondly i was told that it for the best possible sound its best to leave the amp on and just turn the amp down.

but i have to say the Amp sounds so lush that i don't hear any difference anyway.

so thanks to you all for putting my mind at ease.

a highly recommended amp

regards

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I am getting A19 tommorow for home demo for few days with R100.

So far heard good things about it so it will be interesting to see how it will sound to me in my room.

fpeepingtom

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I also own an A19 which I purchased a couple of weeks ago to replace my Brio-R. It does state in the manual that if left on for a certain amount of time it will,automatically,go into standby mode.By pressing two buttons on the front panel(I think it's the balance and auxiliary buttons)you can vary the time before it goes into standby,up to 48hours.As I listen to music most nights,and I like to keep my amps on 24/7 I,ve set it to 48 hours.I hope that helps.

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Had the A19 for about a month myself. Loving it. Very detailed, smooth, controlled and punchy. Also recently changed Epos Epic 2 speakers over to Kef R100's and it sounds amazing! They go so well together and the treble on the R100's is sooo smooth and refined. I was amazed, was really expecting the opposite given that they have metal tweeters.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
fpeepingtom said:
I also own an A19 which I purchased a couple of weeks ago to replace my Brio-R. It does state in the manual that if left on for a certain amount of time it will,automatically,go into standby mode.By pressing two buttons on the front panel(I think it's the balance and auxiliary buttons)you can vary the time before it goes into standby,up to 48hours.As I listen to music most nights,and I like to keep my amps on 24/7 I,ve set it to 48 hours.I hope that helps.

How do you rate the Arcam compared to the Brio R, I am thinking of doing the same upgrade and have Monitor Audio RX6 speakers at present

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
fpeepingtom said:

So what are the pros and cons of the Arcam and Brio R

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Coll

Im sorry i never owned the Rega brio Amp.

But i did have the Pioneer A50 Amp for a week which was a great sounding Amp but for me it just never sounded quite right.

Now the Arcam on the other hand sounds lively exciting but with a warm inviting touch for me perfect and a bit of a bargain just like the LS50s

The two of them work so well together its unbelievable

Regards

Goat

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I demo'd both the arcam and the riga brio r before deciding on the arcam. To be honest, there wasnt a massive amount in it. The riga was slightly warmer and softer, but the arcam seemed to have the edge for detail retrieval, punchiness of bass and ordering of different sounds; i.e. more controlled. Plus it looks fantastic, has great build quality, has no 'issues' like reported cases of speaker hum as the riga does. It's just a solid, well rounded and confident amp. Everything souds very clean and well ordered. But it's punchy too. Whether it's worth the upgrade over the brio though im not sure, improvements will be relatively subtle and youd get a more significant leap in performance by going upwards a few more hundred quid.

salo

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
This A19 Arcan amp went on standby because I was bad and neglected to turn it off for an hour or so. Now I cannot get it to come out of standby. What to do? I turn it off, wait 5 seconds, turn it on, everything looks okay, then it clicks into Standby. Frustrated here.

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
salo said:
This A19 Arcan amp went on standby because I was bad and neglected to turn it off for an hour or so. Now I cannot get it to come out of standby. What to do? I turn it off, wait 5 seconds, turn it on, everything looks okay, then it clicks into Standby. Frustrated here.

I remember that case and conclusion was that it is a fault, something with electronics, somebody from forum took it for repair and than it was OK.

deafinoneear

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I've owned an A19 for a couple of years now and remember a few head scratching moments trying to get this amp out of standby mode.

My best advice is to read the user manual properly (which I didn't) then manually turn the volume switch on the front of the amp slightly and it pops straight out of standby.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts