Arcam and a new blu ray player

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Took the plunge today and after much listening and consideration ordered an Arcam AVR 500.

Reasons behind this were the fantastic price (over £1100 off,as it has now been discontinued), sound quality, dont want 3D or internet radio and never use additional features.

I liked the AVR 400 but felt the amplification was slightly cleaner on the 500.

Fingers crossed that I will not have over heating/software issues as apparently they have all been resolved in the later models.

What blu ray player would you guys suggest? It has to be sacd capable and sound qualiy is my main concern. 3D not an issue.

I have considered CA 650, Marantz SR 5005, Oppo 93

Budget £500

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I have just taken delivery of the Oppo 93 and Im well pleased. Even with the basic settings. £599 delivered free and BD Multi Region.

Quite heavy as well.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Is the Sony better than the Oppo 93? Will it play sacd and stream it over hdmi?
I have heard it is an awsome player but has it now been surpassed?

Your thoughts much appreciated

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi psurquhart

Yes, system is used for music and movies. I listen to music through the "Stereo Direct" facility which cuts out any sound processing. Have to say that I'm very pleased with the Sony as an all rounder, comes fairly close to my old Arcam DV135 for sound, which for Sony I reckon is damn good. And at the current price, general opinion seems to be that it's a bargin

Rob

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
psurquhart said:
A question for ric71 please ?

How are you getting on with the Arcam ? Any issues or is all well and good ?
Hi psurquhart,

All well and good!

In fact I would go far as to say brilliant.

It is fantastic with both music and movies and I really do mean that.

My main priority is music (multi channel) and the Arcam is wonderful.

For years I have hanckered after something like my old Lexicon/ada set up and the Arcam meets this although not as flexible or powerful it is smoother.

I like the "Arcam sound"

Yes it does run hot but Arcam technical have explained to me that it is supposed to.

The only prob I have encountered is the auto calibration.It set all the speakers to a db that was far too high.No matter how many times i re ran it.Spoke to Arcam and they said poss a faulty mic or my room is confusing it. Either way not bothered as I always set up manually with an spl meter.

The remote is handy to as it controls all my other equipment right out of the box.

Arcam have resolved all of the issues with the 500.

For the price it can be had at the moment it is a no brainer. Would have been ecstatic if it were the full retail price.

TRENDING THREADS