Arcam Alpha 5 plus integrated amplifier, headphones do not turn off speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I just got the above amp and when I plug in headphones the main speakers are not cut. There is no button to turn off main speakers. Is the amp falty or have I missed something?

Ben

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I have an A28 amp and according to the manual the speakers should be muted when you plug in the headphones. This doesn't happen so you have to switch speakers from A to B or vice versa dependent on how you have them set up. Does the Alpha 5 have two sets of speaker outputs?

Spoke to Arcam and they say it is a mistake in the manual and only amps with one set of speaker outputs (eg A18 ) where they get muted automatically.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
From memory there are 2 sets of binding posts on the back? It is only the bottom set from which you cam mute the speakers. You have to push out the SP button too. This as how my alpha 7 used to operate anyway.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
As reviewed in Gramophone here, when the speakers are connected to the main speaker outputs on the amp then they are not disconnected when you insert the headphone jack (you need to connect the speakers to SP2 instead).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts