Arcam A85 Diva, what can I bi amp with?

Chrisjohnwright

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi there have just bought an A85 (on the way, can't wait). Looking for a P85, but don't seem to be too many around, so can I bi amp with any other Arcam power amps, or do I need to be more patient and wait for a P85?

thanks

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think most of the Arcam power amps are gain matched back to the Alpha series, but I could be wrong. P85's come up regular on eBay though so you might as well just hold tight for one to come up, it's not like you can't listen to music without it.

EDIT: I've just noticed who you are, your upgrading from the Alpha II right ? I hope you like the A85 they are nice amplifiers but can sound a tad dull if not partnered well.

Chrisjohnwright

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi egg, thanks for that. Yes upgrading from the Alpha 2, with mission 752s and Marantz CD52SE. I guess will see whether sounds ok when the new stuff arrives, if it's no good will go back to looking for one of the other options everyone was recommending, in your view would a late Alpha have been better?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Chrisjohnwright said:
Hi egg, thanks for that. Yes upgrading from the Alpha 2, with mission 752s and Marantz CD52SE. I guess will see whether sounds ok when the new stuff arrives, if it's no good will go back to looking for one of the other options everyone was recommending, in your view would a late Alpha have been better?

I used to have an A85, then upgraded it by partnering it with a P90 (both sold a couple of years ago), and found it an excellent combination in bi-amped form. Lots of range and detail in the soundstage. Their only deficit at the time was a slight inability to go really loud without distortion. Something that has never been a problem with the Caspian set I now own. (When possible I like to go very loud!)

My wife still hankers after the "Arcam sound" and not just because I play louder music now with the Roksan kit. She insists it was a more "comforting" and less "clinical" listen than our current set-up. All highly subjective I know but there you go.

Enjoy.

Chrisjohnwright

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
The A85 turned up today, hooked it up, bunged a CD on, couldn't believe how bad it sounded. If this was the Diva sound was incredibly disappointed. Then realised one of my Tweeters was shot. |(

Waiting to hear back from Wilmslow to see if they can help. Will let you know how it sounds when it's all fixed. Right speaker sounded good tho.

Chrisjohnwright

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
The A85 turned up today, hooked it up, bunged a CD on, couldn't believe how bad it sounded. If this was the Diva sound was incredibly disappointed. Then realised one of my Tweeters was shot. |(

Waiting to hear back from Wilmslow to see if they can help. Will let you know how it sounds when it's all fixed. Right speaker sounded good tho.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'd hold out for a P85 if I were you. Having said that, you can use another A85 in power amp mode if another comes along sooner than a P85.

Chrisjohnwright

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Big Chris, good thought.

Separately, I'm struggling to locate a replacement tweeter for the 752 s, some reasonably priced 753s on eBay, do you think an A85 / P85 combo would drive the bigger speakers?

TRENDING THREADS