Arcam A39 Verdict?

james_k100

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Been looking for opinion and verdict on the A39 and would appreciate any advice on its strengths/weakness' and would it fit into my current setup?

Currently using - Arcam A19, KEF R300, Clearaudio Concept MC, Clearaudio Basic MM/MC, Chord Ref Cables.

I am happy with my setup but have the potential to pick up an A39 at a very good price - a good road to go down? Open to suggestion at this point.

The Arcam sound suits me as I find it detailed enough with good separation and it's not fatiguing for long listening sessions. Bass could be tighter with the A19 will I see improvement with the A39?

What I'm really getting at is that for the relative cost(a few hundred quid) would the upgrade be worth it?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. The A39 takes what the A19 does, but improves on it in all areas....much as described in that link. Unlike its cheaper sibling, it is Class G...which allows it to remain in Class A for 20W. This gives it a big, clear, exciting sound, without tiptoeing into brittleness or harshness. Personally, I think it works great with Kef.

Its natural opposition comes from the Elicit R (which sounds leaner, to me) and the Creek 100A (also Class G).

All in all, there is a lot of talent around that price....but if you can get a good deal and like the way the A19 sounds, then it would seem an obvious upgrade path. The A29 is better than the A19 and the A39 is better again.

iceman16

I think you won't be disappointed if you like the A19 and moving up to A39 with your speakers. I have the smaller brother A29 driving LS50s with great results. The Class-G starts from the A29 upwards if Im not mistaken.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I think you won't be disappointed if you like the A19 and moving up to A39 with your speakers. I have the smaller brother A29 driving LS50s with great results. The Class-G starts from the A29 upwards if Im not mistaken.
At the evening I was at, the guy from Arcam said that, yes the A29 is Class G, but it doesn't fully switch over to full Class A like the A39/49.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
At the evening I was at, the guy from Arcam said that, yes the A29 is Class G, but it doesn't fully switch over to full Class A like the A39/49.

That's right. I think the A39 switch over from and not to Class A from 20w

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts