admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
If i undertand correctly i can hook up this device to my pc with an optical cable running into my dac and use i-tunes with a remote control? it has an ethernet port on the back too, do i need to connect this up as my pc uses the only ethernet port i have, sorry for the dumb questions i am not really tech minded.

rjb70stoke

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
The Apple TV, sits on your network wired by ethernet or wireless by wifi, connecting to your router.

You then need to leave your PC, switched on with iTunes running in order for it to play music/films from the PC, you can indeed then control your music with a remote.

You wouldnt connect the Apple TV to your PC by optical, as the opticals on both devices will be output only.

T

the record spot

If you're looking at buying a box like this jimm, check out Sony's SMP-N100 or 200. Better specs than the ATV2, more versatile and offers Sony's brilliant internet functionality to boot. I like to think the ATV was a work in progress, but mistakenly made it on to the retail shelf in error. If Apple had asked £65 for it, then yes, it's a good product. At £99 which is in the same price bracket as the Sony, then it's a fail (IMO). It just doesn't do enough to warrant the price. Plus it's a flimsy thing.

Paul.

Flimsy is not a a criticism I have heard before for the Apple TV 2? Mine is built like a hockey puck...

It has always been a bit half baked though. I got mine from the US, which funnily enough worked out about £65. I always viewed it as an Airport Express with youtube, only used it for Airplay on it really. In the last two months it has been a lot more useful, iTunes Match and Netflix gives me a ton of content without needing to have any laptops or Nas drives switched on.

In the not to distant future, Mountain Lion will have Airplay desktop streaming, which means my 3 meter mini display -> HDMI cable will retire to the big spare cable box behind the sofa. I think at this point (summer ish) I will consider the Atv2 fully baked.

T

the record spot

Darren over at HDD has some criticism of the ATV2 - plus there are reports of it shifting around if the cables are disturbed at the back. It doesn't include 1080 resolution, it doesn't offer as wide a range of audio formats as the Sony (or others, e.g. no FLAC support).

It does some stuff well and it's got a decent range of internet connectivity options. But then, so do the rest and they do more, for more or less the same money. Hence, I think ATV3 will be a better product, but the ATV2 was beaten by the competition before it even left the warehouse. Apple fumbled the ball here.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
The Apple TV is underspecced in comparison to competitors, but I think that's maybe missing the point a little. If it meets your needs, as it did mine, it's a great piece of kit. Loads of people love Sonos, but that does way less than the ATV for 3 times the price! And one thing it's not is flimsy :) It gets called a hockey puck in our house too!

Despite having a house full of Sony kit, I use the ATV as all my music is in Apple Lossless, and I find the iTunes + ATV + ipod/pad/phone combo great to use. The sound quality is so good that I'd be wary of using another streamer.

I'm currently looking to do whole-house music streaming and I've been put off buying more ATV2s because of the rumours about ATV3. Hopefully we'll get those confirmed on the 7th of March at the Apple event.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
jimm said:
If i undertand correctly i can hook up this device to my pc with an optical cable running into my dac and use i-tunes with a remote control? it has an ethernet port on the back too, do i need to connect this up as my pc uses the only ethernet port i have, sorry for the dumb questions i am not really tech minded.

As has been said already, you'd connect the ATV2 direct to your DAC with an optical cable. It then connects to your PC over the wireless or wired network.

If you don't have a wireless network to connect to, you just need a simple switch (like this one) which will enable you to connect both your PC and the ATV2 to your router (NB - you may be able to find a cheaper switch, I've just linked to that one as an example).

A

Anonymous

Hi Jimm

Not sure if you're aware but it may be helpful for you - Apple offer a free application called Remote which means if you have either an iPhone, iTouch or iPad you can use these as a wireless remote control for changing music in iTunes on your Hi-Fi linked PC. It allows you all the functionality such as scrolling through and creating playlists, searches, albums listing, artist listing, song listing etc etc. It basically mirrors your entire iTunes library on your PC so the songs don't even have to be stored on your device.

If your PC is connected up to your Hi-Fi directly and you therefore don't need to be able to stream your music to it then, if you have an iTouch, iPad or iPhone, this remote may be all you need to get the convenience you seem to be looking for without any cost?

Juzzie Wuzzie

I am a big fan of my ATV1 - and iTunes. About the only thing I wish for the ATV was that it had inbuilt TuneIn type internet radio, rather than having to set my radio stations up in a playlist. That said, a minor issue.

Interested to see what ATV3 brings in a week - I expect 1080p/i and onboard apps.

rjb70stoke

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
I am a big fan of my ATV1 - and iTunes. About the only thing I wish for the ATV was that it had inbuilt TuneIn type internet radio, rather than having to set my radio stations up in a playlist. That said, a minor issue.

Interested to see what ATV3 brings in a week - I expect 1080p/i and onboard apps.

How do you set your radio stations as playlists, as a matter of interest? Thats something that has passed my by.

Juzzie Wuzzie

I set up a playlist in iTunes called 'Radio' and drag and drop my favourite stations there. When ATV syncs with iTunes, the playlist (and stations) come across. I must admit being tempted to get an ATV2 and use the Airplay function to beam TuneIn radio to the receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts