Anyone used an Ultrasonic CD/DVD cleaner?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
have seen these advertised on ebay for fairly cheap .... uses water .... anyone tried these or are they junk?

when I was an 'apprentice' draughtsman, we used to draw with ink pens and used to use ultrosonic pen cleaners which worked well, however, we used to use some chemicals mixed with water ...

just curious if anyone has tried these for cleaning cd's

A

Anonymous

how about you buy one and report back

alternatively donate the £20 to the red cross at least they do some good
emotion-1.gif
)

A

Anonymous

I would simply wonder what you would want to clean off your CD's with nothing but water?

I use the Russ Andrews Reveel/Releas to clean my CD's with and they suggest that you can use such an ultrasonic cleaner to help rinse off their cleaning stuff, but not sure what water alone would do to a CD ... can't think it would do much really.... ??

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Aldi are selling a similar machine for £16.99 - with a 3 year warranty, and it also has adjustable timer with digital display for cleaning from 90 seconds up to 8 minutes. For that money. I thought it might be worth a punt...

Got it home and it's pretty decent constuction wise - stuck some water in it with a blob of washing up liquid, and it cleans a treat... if you wear eye glasses or use a foil shaver, it's great... they also suggest cleaning jewellery and watches in it too. I haven't actually got around to trying it with CD's or DVD's yet, but it does come with a 2-CD disc holder for that purpose, and a stand for cleaning watches... all that super-fine dirt that gets stuck in crevices just floats out, but I'm not sure what benefit that would be to a CD. Now if someone made a super-large version for my aging vinyl collection, that'd be brilliant!

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
My wife, who knows a thing or two about jewellery, tells me that ultrasonic cleaners are not recommended for cleaning good jewellery, as it loosens the stones in their settings.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
bob.g:My wife, who knows a thing or two about jewellery, tells me that ultrasonic cleaners are not recommended for cleaning good jewellery, as it loosens the stones in their settings.

bob.g

your wife is absolutely correct, there are a few that can stand up to ultrasonic cleaning, diamond in particular, however as you say it depends on the mount as well...................but never rubies, sapphires, emeralds, topaz and the like as most are enhanced by heat/oil/infill etc and will lose their magic if cleaned this way.

TRENDING THREADS