Anybody familiar with the Primare CD20 CD Player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been offered a Primare CD 20. I know absolutely nothig about the brand and can find nothing about the CD20 on the web. Be delighted to hear from anybody familiar with both the brand and model.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Released in late 90's, I can't remember exactly how much but it was around £850....sound very smooth yet have plenty of details and dynamic range. A minty one with box and remote will fetch around £350 - £400 which is a very good buy if you are not a bass head. 24 bit AKM DAC, HDCD decoder, Phillips CDM12.4 transport (very good transport), 2 power transformers (one for digital, one for analog)....seem to last well. good luck

A

Anonymous

Many thanks, Thaiman. Going to have a chat with the seller and try to strike a deal in the next hour. This is my first foray into using a dedicated CD player. I had gone the way of SACD and was never convinced of the claims made for having a dedicated CD player. Perhaps I'm about to discover something new in the CD collection I was slowly pushing to the back of the shelf. It will be interesting to hear what difference it has to offer - and no! I'm not a bass head.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
All Hifi equipments need to have a good synergy to work together, not easy. I am sure that you can hear a clear improvement if you got the d20 deal but don't forget that amp is more important and speakers + room is the most important!

A

Anonymous

Synergy - an interesting word which and which derives from the Greek language. I see it means "working together", the result being greater than the sum of its parts. It strikes me that the "result" can be very subjective and casts, at least for me, a question mark over the usefullness of auditioning hardware outside of one's own studio/room. Ultimately, it appears to be down to trial and error to achieve that first combination of hardware and room. Then the whole process starts off again at the next hardware change. It makes me ask whether the mark of the true audiophile - I don't consoder myself one -is the eternal search for the subjectively perfect combination of hardware and room or to reach a stage of satisfactory compromise and simply engage in listening pleasure?
My hardware comprises of the Monitor Audio RS6AV, Onkyo TX-SR875, Sony DVP-NS9100ES, Sony DVP-NS900V, Roksan Kandy KA-1 MKIII, Pioneer DV747A and, now, the Primare CD20 - mint condition, originally purchased 2003 and costing me ?400. There is little I can do about a fixed room size. My job means I'm relocated every four or five years, so compromise will remains an unavoidable factor in any ambition I may have to achieve the ideal synergy.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]Wow that's a emotional post :) [/quote]

Oh, no. Not really. Just a few philosophical ruminations concerning aesthetics:)

[quote user="Thaiman"]Enjoy your new cdp [/quote]
Of course! After all, that's what it's all about in the end, isn't it?

Just been trying out the Primare. What a revelation! Though I've listened to Andrea Bocelli in the past, I've never truly heard him. "Con Te Partiro" comes across with a depth, clarity and openess I never thought possible but always wanted. Vladimir Ashkenazy's rendition of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee" gives me goosebumps. As I write, the second movement of Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony is playing - Ah! What perfect sublimity!
The Primare has a softer, warmer tone than either of my Sony players, yet forfits nothing in detail. Only now do I realise it was the brighter, colder tone of the Sony's which had me dissatisified. Is it an emotional judgement? It certainly is, as the Sony's exhibit the same level of detail, openess and so on when compared to the Primare. What was missing was warmth and the soothing, relaxed tones which lend to the listening experience an entire new interpretation and appreciation. It makes me wonder what a £30K system has to offer? I don't know and I don't want to know - for the time being, I'm quite happy to live in the sheer bliss of ignorance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts