Any hifi Christmas presents?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just got a dedicated power supply for my USB DAC (Firestone Audio Supplier) and it is really doing a good job!

A recent op-amp swap, to a higher quality component, made improvements to detail and 'space' and now the dedicated power supply seems to have tidied up any vestige of untidy treble and - at the same time - given the bass more grunt/impact.

Old 60s/70s multi-tracked stuff (Small Faces, Stones, Bowie so far) has really been tidied up and is making a lot more sense. I can almost sense where the mikes are when Bowie is 'duetting' with himself in parts of 'Space Oddity' for instance (despite knowing that it is probably just a trick on the mixing desk). Almost dropped my tea during the synth/keyboard breaks in Chicory Tip's 'Son of My father' ! Never heard that track sounding so good, it has gone from 'novelty favourite' to an incredibly visceral listen as well now.

Anyone else got any new toys today?

A

Anonymous

Merry Christmas chebby! I finally got to unwrap my DACMagic today and from my first impressions (although I faintly remember you saying you wasn't a fan (may be wrong)) it's really improved my budget system no ends, I would like to thank everyone for their inputs whilst building my bedroom hifi!

Merry xmas and new year to everyone!

A

Anonymous

Not so far although i think i have a cd to open!

My g/f did say last night that i should save up and buy a better turntable though, so i have the present of no complaining about upgrades!
emotion-2.gif

Merry Christmas everone!

A

Anonymous

Just treated myself to ATC SCM19 loudspeakers to replace Spendor S5e, and a Denon AV Receiver 2809 to replace aging Yamaha processor

A

Anonymous

My wife bought me a new projector JVC DLA-HD1 full high def projector and pluged in the movie room yesterday mornning and the picture on it leaves the EPSON-TWT2000 for dead and it has to be calibrated properley and its definetley a big step from the Epson.

Regards Lino.

A

Anonymous

Ive ordered some Tannoy F1s from Amazon to go with my Denon D-M37DAB.

A late xmas present at a good price.

A

Anonymous

Some CDs, very welcome additions to my collection:

Dianna Krall - The Very Best Of
Bach Cantatas, Gardinier - Eighth Sunday After Trinity / Tenth Sunday After Trinity
Andrea Bocelli - Incanto

Superb
emotion-1.gif

Have a good break all and Chebby, enjoy the new toy. Sounds excellent.

A

Anonymous

Basshound, you lucky chap! Bet the house hasn't had ten minutes of quiet since de-boxing
emotion-1.gif
The Kandy stuff is built beautifully and those speakers are fab. Hot foot it down to the Zavvi closing down sale to build up the CD collection...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Hell would freeze over before my missus bought me an hifi eqpt...

Mind you I did get a very nice shoulder bag from her. Very nice indeed.

ÿ

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Basshound, you lucky chap! Bet the house hasn't had ten minutes of quiet since de-boxing
emotion-1.gif
The Kandy stuff is built beautifully and those speakers are fab. Hot foot it down to the Zavvi closing down sale to build up the CD collection...

You`re right mate,the system has had some right stick since I got it which was actually a week or so before Christmas and is now settleing down nicely,probably a combination of use and me getting used to the sound. Don`t need to visit Zavvi just yet as I`m working my way through my cd collection on the new kit (we all do it!)Listened to an album I`ve heard 100`s of times and was amazed with hearing stuff not noticed before.Thought my last system was pretty good (for the money) CA amp and cdp,MS speakers but this is truly a step up.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
basshound:igglebert:Basshound, you lucky chap! Bet the house hasn't had ten minutes of quiet since de-boxing
emotion-1.gif
The Kandy stuff is built beautifully and those speakers are fab. Hot foot it down to the Zavvi closing down sale to build up the CD collection...You`re right mate,the system has had some right stick since I got it which was actually a week or so before Christmas and is now settleing down nicely,probably a combination of use and me getting used to the sound. Don`t need to visit Zavvi just yet as I`m working my way through my cd collection on the new kit (we all do it!)Listened to an album I`ve heard 100`s of times and was amazed with hearing stuff not noticed before.Thought my last system was pretty good (for the money) CA amp and cdp,MS speakers but this is truly a step up.

ÿ

Nice one. Nothing worse than buying new kit and hearing no difference. Luckily that hasn't happened to me yet

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Marillion - Early Stages - a 6 CD boxset of live recordings from 1982 to 1987. Coldplay - Prospekts March. The Dark Knight 2 disc DVD.

Alas, no Cyrus CD8SE to try, not even a CD6SE to try..........

Anyone feeling Christmassy to buy me one?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts