Any bass players out there?

defo

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I have played bass for nearly 30 years and have got used to studio bass recording. I often wonder if this has coloured my approach to bass on my hifi. I am obsessive about the lower frequencies and move my speakers by millimeters to try and get me a sound like I feel when I am recording - drives me mad. Does anyone else experience this?

A

Anonymous

Yep, not as extrem as u are living this passion, but I am bass player too, for 10 years now.

So I am giving special attention to the bass performance of speakers, and its a real pleasure if it is

natural :)

A

Anonymous

I,m not a bass player but have played with quite a few. Have to say that over the years they have taught me quite a lot about bass, ie can,t go wrong if you keep it route, third and fifth. It also amazes me that most guitar players think that the bass player has an easy job, when in fact all the bass players i know have been very knowledgable and have added a lot more than the guys who just want to stay out in front with their single note lines. To answer your question, yes they have all complained about their hi-fi not giving a true representation of how they recon the bass should sound, so yes you are not alone, i,m at the stage now where i can tell if the bass on the track is being played on a fretted or fretless bass, played for five years with a bass player who played constantly with a Warwick fretless bass, sounded superb, hard to play considering you have to fret on the intonation.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm the same. Played clarinet and alto sax in a dixieland band for many years but it was a double bass player that taught me bass perception, not electric.

A

Anonymous

Richard Allen:I'm the same. Played clarinet and alto sax in a dixieland band for many years but it was a double bass player that taught me bass perception, not electric. Double bass, niiice, sax and clarinet, aargh, have had my share of horn instrument players, have to accomodate them by playing in flat keys, ask them to play in guitar friendly key and they look at you as if you have grown two heads and then you get the jibes about " your just rhythm, what would you know".
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Oh yea forgot to mention that: Im double bass player, not electric bass.

Some speakers and electronic that comes very close to a real bass are the B&W 802D with Accuphase Amp and CDP. My father has this comboand it sounds great, and as natural as it can be, the best I've ever heard so far. But the 802D's are a real diva when it comes to placement and the right cables

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
johnnyjazz:Richard Allen:I'm the same. Played clarinet and alto sax in a dixieland band for many years but it was a double bass player that taught me bass perception, not electric. Double bass, niiice, sax and clarinet, aargh, have had my share of horn instrument players, have to accomodate them by playing in flat keys, ask them to play in guitar friendly key and they look at you as if you have grown two heads and then you get the jibes about " your just rhythm, what would you know".
emotion-7.gif

What's wrong with C. G and A?. I used to play in those keys while playing sax with a blues rock band. Used to cheat with the clarinet tho. Got a pair. B flat and A. 1942 Buffet wooden ones. Sax is a Selmer Bundy. I love concert keys.

A

Anonymous

Richard Allen:

johnnyjazz:Richard Allen:I'm the same. Played clarinet and alto sax in a dixieland band for many years but it was a double bass player that taught me bass perception, not electric. Double bass, niiice, sax and clarinet, aargh, have had my share of horn instrument players, have to accomodate them by playing in flat keys, ask them to play in guitar friendly key and they look at you as if you have grown two heads and then you get the jibes about " your just rhythm, what would you know".
emotion-7.gif

What's wrong with C. G and A?. I used to play in those keys while playing sax with a blues rock band. Used to cheat with the clarinet tho. Got a pair. B flat and A. 1942 Buffet wooden ones. Sax is a Selmer Bundy. I love concert keys.

Richard, nothing wrong with C,G and A, wish you had been in my company with the rest of the horn guys. It was mostly jazz and the guy who ran it and played trumpet had this stubborn opinion that the songs had to be played in the keys they were originally written in, if indeed they were written in flat keys. He also played piano and he would try and write down chord progressions for me based on piano, after 4 bars i would end up having played about 30 chords, all barred, then a key change in the middle, again another 30 chords, what a nightmare.

SteveR750

There were two in my Families collection (me and my son), only one now that we both mess around with. I have had some success with a reasonably natural sound using only Adobe Audition and a PC, then convreted into a wav file and burnt to a CD. Even though I have large hands, I still struggle with the bass with my fretting because of the totally different technique required. Mind you I'm no Satch on a 6 string either....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts