And The Worst Is....

StevieC

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Just been reading some of the posts on the threads "Best hifi product of last 40 yrs" & "Which hifi product would we like to see back". Somehow this got me thinking about the other side of the coin. Let's face it, there's been some pretty dubious stuff over the years.

What's the worst hifi (or should that be lo-fi) related item we've had to endure? Go on, what are you glad to see the back of (or would be if it was discontinued tomorrow)? Which products/formats etc have really made you squirm when you've heard them?

My own vote has to be for "Mono recordings electronically enhanced for stereo". I find all of these to be absolutely awful. And if you're unfortunate enough to hear one of these abortions through headphones, well, enough said.

Any comments?

Steve

PS I'd put 8 track cartridges as a close second place

A

Anonymous

I love this topic! I have a really old FAL PA100 amp which is shockingly bad. Its a true class B design, ie has no bias and at low levels sounds so sh!t from crossover distortion its a joke. When you turn it up it sounds rubbish too. But its in a big chunky 'roadie' looking case and has a big on off switch and for some reason I cant throw it away.

I bloody love by old J E Sugden amp tho, vintage class A amp that whilst not that powerful sounds absolutely amazing.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i can only say worst out of what i have demo'd or listened too personally and that was some of the Cambridge Audio budget product range of amplifiers, cd players and speakers including those mentioned above

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Worst is perhaps an overstatement but I remember it for the price; A MusicalFidelitiy/ProAc system. Somewhere around 4 or 5 thousand pounds and underwhelming.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
The single worst, actually not worst but certainly most dissapointing, piece of hifi i have ever owned was a pair of kef xq30s. Dont know what it was, perhaps system synergy? But i thought they were very very poor. Very bright to the point of painful, no scale and no bass. Ive never brought something and wanted to return it as much. Honestly they were far inferior to a pair of Mordaunt short 908is i owned which cost me a fraction of their price. Infact if you take into consideration their price they were awful! They did look stunning though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts