Analog Recording and play through Modern Preamp

beast98

Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
I have a Rega TT with a Grado cartridge and a Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel. My pre-processor is a Marantz AV7705 going to 2 Carver amps, 2 ch and 5 ch.. The 7705 has a phono input (for MM cartridges only) and no analog out, which makes recording impossible. So I break out my old Parasound PHP-850 preamp to run the TT and tape loops, figuring I can run the line out from there to the phono in on the 7705. I get sound but it's a muffled mess. An alternative is to run the outputs from both preamps through a switcher going to my main amp. But then I lose my (powered) subwoofers when playing records or tapes through the Parasound. I recently bought a set of B&K speakers that really need the subs.
Ok, that's my problem in a nutshell. Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

Gray

Apart from the RT-707 (very nice too), I'm not familiar with any of your gear.
And to be honest, I'm not really sure exactly what you can't do.
I think you're saying that you can either record or play the TT, but not both.

However, your muffled mess of a sound has confirmed to you what you can never do - put a line output into a phono input.
On a picture of the Marantz, I saw at least 5 line inputs. Unless you're using them all, there must be a spare to use (fed from a Parasound tape out, not its pre-out).
Though surely amongst the 2 million sockets I saw, there must be a fixed line output suitable for recording. I saw a 'zone 2 and 3' for instance. Can't they be configured to send a fixed line out from the Marantz? (Have a look at your manual to see).

Otherwise, you mentioned tape loops on the Parasound.....one to Pioneer for recording TT.
Another to one of those Marantz line inputs for listening - using Marantz Volume control (as tape loop out of Parasound will be a fixed line level. Using Parasound pre-out would mean having 2 volume controls in the listening chain, which is best avoided).

Last edited:

beast98

Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
Apart from the RT-707 (very nice too), I'm not familiar with any of your gear.
And to be honest, I'm not really sure exactly what you can't do.
I think you're saying that you can either record or play the TT, but not both.

However, your muffled mess of a sound has confirmed to you what you can never do - put a line output into a phono input.
On a picture of the Marantz, I saw at least 5 line inputs. Unless you're using them all, there must be a spare to use (fed from a Parasound tape out, not its pre-out).
Though surely amongst the 2 million sockets I saw, there must be a fixed line output suitable for recording. I saw a 'zone 2 and 3' for instance. Can't they be configured to send a fixed line out from the Marantz? (Have a look at your manual to see).

Otherwise, you mentioned tape loops on the Parasound.....one to Pioneer for recording TT.
Another to one of those Marantz line inputs for listening - using Marantz Volume control (as tape loop out of Parasound will be a fixed line level. Using Parasound pre-out would mean having 2 volume controls in the listening chain, which is best avoided).

beast98

Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
I had tried the CD line input and got no sound at all. Then I went to the Marantz's settings and set CD to analog input and IT WORKS! Thank you for your reply.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts