Amptastic Mini-1

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Anyone here got any experience with this little amp ? Does it have enough power to drive a pair of budget speakers ?

Thanks.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Cypher said:
Anyone here got any experience with this little amp ? Does it have enough power to drive a pair of budget speakers ?

Thanks.

as a general rule of thumb, a lot of the small tripath amps work better with sensitive speakers so 88db and higher to get the best out of them.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I’ve not heard the new version but do own the predecessor the Ampstatic Mini-T which I believe is slightly less powerful. Whether the speakers are budget or not has little relevance as the whether of not that can be adequately driven by this amp. It is all about efficiency, I tried mine on a large pair of B&W stand mount speakers rated at 90db and they excelled with in normal listening conditions; moderate listening levels in a moderate sized room.

I tried the same amp with a small pair of Mission book shelf speakers (note smaller speakers are often harder to drive)and the limitations of the amp where obvious, it sounded strained by comparison to the open sound it produced the first time.

There are reports these amps don’t go loud, that isn’t strictly true, they do go louder than I’d ever listening but you’ll find the quality sharply drops as they distort and can’t properly control the speakers. I’ve heard many report great results with huge and efficient horn speakers costly many thousands driven by one of these tiny amps and cheap amps, if you’ve in the right context they can sound wonderful. For the money and in the right system they offer brilliant value fro money but just don’t try and get them doing a job they’re not comfortable with as they’ll sound like cheap amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts