Amps that can run two sets of speakers

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I currently run speakers in both my sitting room and kitchen from a Cambridge 540, which I find useful. I 'd love to keep this function in my upgrade and so tried the 840a (which as I've said in previous posts didn't rock my world).

Most amps that excite me don't have this ability (quad 909 being a case in point) so before I buy and say goodbye my kitchen set up does anyone have any reccomendations? I've heard Arcam has this feature but haven't auditioned.

Presumably most don't as it can effect SQ. Would 2 909's on one pre run this set up (in good time obviously - the second 909 will have to wait.)

Thanks, as always, for your advice.

A

Anonymous

lordmortlock:I currently run speakers in both my sitting room and kitchen from a Cambridge 540, which I find useful. I 'd love to keep this function in my upgrade and so tried the 840a (which as I've said in previous posts didn't rock my world).

Most amps that excite me don't have this ability (quad 909 being a case in point) so before I buy and say goodbye my kitchen set up does anyone have any reccomendations? I've heard Arcam has this feature but haven't auditioned.

Presumably most don't as it can effect SQ. Would 2 909's on one pre run this set up (in good time obviously - the second 909 will have to wait.)

Thanks, as always, for your advice.
You haven't said what your budget is, but I am guessing it's around £1000, going by the price of the Quad 909. May I suggest the Cyrus 6 XP amplifier (£900)? It supports 2 zones and it's upgradable. The Cyrus 8 XP is better but is a bit more costly. I think both sound fantastic, try to audition them and see what you think. Sevenoaks Sound and Vision (I'm unrelated) will happily set it up for you and will even let you audition these at home if you like on a three week trial basis.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks debt collector. Very odd - I emailed Cyrus to ask them if any of their kit would do this and they said no! I'll investigate.

Awesome kit btw...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Arcam amps all do and there is no difference in sound whether you have one or both pairs running.

The A38 has just won a supertest in HFC with rave reviews but it's an amp, as all Arcam, that's designed for good, long listening sessions rather than a quick demo. In my experience I end up 5 or 6 hours in, at 2am, literally forcing myself to switch it off and go to bed.

ÿ

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I've read a few of your posts Joel and thats partly what got me thinking of Arcam. There seems to be a perception that one should only run one set of speakers but if it doesnt affect SQ its a feature I'd find useful. I've had no experience of Arcam at all. May be its tiem that changed.

Thanks Don - I emailed Audiolab a coule of weeks ago and the reply said that I'd need two powers. thats fine but I'd probably go down the quad route if thats the case, although I havent checked a unit

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
There are a few people who slaughter them, but they consistently get good ratings in the mags, less so WHF actually. You really have to live with them or at the very least have an extended listening session. 10 minutes won't do, as a more forward set-up could appeal more. 4 hours later, a more forward set-up may not appeal quite so much.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts