AMPS/Integrated AMPS with DEDICATED Subwoofer output

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Are there any worthwhile amps / integraded amps out there in the range ofGBP1000-2000 that have a dedicated SUBWOOFER ouput?

Is it a good idea to use it with a standmount speaker instead of using a standard floorstander instead?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
The Naim Nait XS has a subwoofer output.

I personally prefer floorstanders to standmount speakers. Obviously with standmounts you usually trade the bass for speed and agility, yes you can plug that gap with a sub, but getting good integration isn't easy. There are fast and articulate floorstanders out there, I'm more than happy with my MA RX6's, or further up the price bracket, Proac D18's.

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
shooter said:
All you need is a line level out/pre out for sub duties, you could use high/speaker level out but the former is prefered.

Are you able to elaborate, shooter? What are the compromises when using high level outs? I've been told the same but would like to better understand the rationale. thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Are there any worthwhile amps / integraded amps out there in the range ofGBP1000-2000 that have a dedicated SUBWOOFER ouput?

Is it a good idea to use it with a standmount speaker instead of using a standard floorstander instead?

Most AV receivers have a sub-output. Some are also worthwile stereo amplifiers.

One doesn't have to exclude the other and floorstanders can also benefit from having a subwoofer helping out.

regards

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
empacher said:
shooter said:
All you need is a line level out/pre out for sub duties, you could use high/speaker level out but the former is prefered.

Are you able to elaborate, shooter? What are the compromises when using high level outs? I've been told the same but would like to better understand the rationale. thanks

Any line level, that being sub, pre or line out has a fixed voltage i.e fixed output. The only difference in the 3 is that the pre out can be used as that in bypassing the power side of the amp for pre duties, this way you get a fixed signal from the amp rather than a fluctuating signal in a speaker level out.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
shooter said:
you could use high/speaker level out

Use the Neutrik connection to the sub and set the frequency to the point where your speakers are rated at their lowest, e.g. 45Hz.

REL-Neutrik.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
shooter said:
according to whom? Rel, the subwoofer manufacturer, recommend high level inputs for music and both for AV duties.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
pete321 said:
shooter said:

Use the Neutrik connection to the sub and set the frequency to the point where your speakers are rated at their lowest, e.g. 45Hz.

REL-Neutrik.jpg

... is incidently what I do even though both ampls have pre-outs and one has a sub out in addition.

regards

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
shooter said:
empacher said:
shooter said:

Any line level, that being sub, pre or line out has a fixed voltage i.e fixed output. The only difference in the 3 is that the pre out can be used as that in bypassing the power side of the amp for pre duties, this way you get a fixed signal from the amp rather than a fluctuating signal in a speaker level out.

Erm, sorry am I missing something here? If a sub out is fixed how does the sub turn its volume down when you turn the main amp down? It'll just continue to run at full volume even though the rest of the speakers are quieter. Equally if you attach a power amp (which has no volume control of its own) to a pre-out that was fixed how would you control the volume of the speakers attached to the power amp?

To my knowledge (which is limited) the only fixed outputs are tape outs or similar recording outputs.

Etymotic

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Good evening.

As you enquired about amps with a dedicated subwoofer input....well the Harman Kardon HK990 has got two!

The HK 990 room-correction system supports two mono subwoofers with a separate room correction filter in each signal path.

The amp costs around £1200 but I have seen it on line for as little as £799...a veritable bargain when you look at what it can actually do.

Check out this review which goes into great detail on the amps capabilities.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/integrated-amplifiers/integrated-amplifiers-reviews/harman-kardon-990-integrated-amplifier-and-hd-990-cd-player-for-the-audiophile/all-pages.html

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
shooter said:
empacher said:
shooter said:

Erm, sorry am I missing something here? If a sub out is fixed how does the sub turn its volume down when you turn the main amp down? It'll just continue to run at full volume even though the rest of the speakers are quieter. Equally if you attach a power amp (which has no volume control of its own) to a pre-out that was fixed how would you control the volume of the speakers attached to the power amp? To my knowledge (which is limited) the only fixed outputs are tape outs or similar recording outputs.

I could of worded it better, the characteristic of a line level is that it has a low voltage output though they wont be identical but for arguments sake lets say its 2 volts. There is room for manuver from volume control or attenuation but 2 volts is ample for anything attached i.e sub/amp etc.

The difference with high/speaker level is that the voltage into the sub is variable (RMS). A 100 watt amp can output 30 volts RMS or a 200 watt amp can output 58 volts RMS, the sub then has to bring the input voltage down to line level (2v) process the signal and amplify it.

Either way is fine but if you look around in general people prefer the line out config.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
pete321 said:
shooter said:

REL-Neutrik.jpg

... is incidently what I do even though both ampls have pre-outs and one has a sub out in addition.

regards

I have read somewhere that the above solution has an issue in the sense that you get elevated bass response where the sub-bass systema nd the main speakers overlap in response?! This is causes due to the additive effect of the two systems. :roll:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
L00k_C said:
drummerman said:
pete321 said:
shooter said:

REL-Neutrik.jpg

regards

I have read somewhere that the above solution has an issue in the sense that you get elevated bass response where the sub-bass systema nd the main speakers overlap in response?! This is causes due to the additive effect of the two systems. :roll:

Whether or not they overlap is simply down to what you set the crossover points at, it isn't a function of using high or low level inputs. A decent sub should allow you to adjust the crossover and gain of each input independantly of the others (ie you can set different levels for the high-level input compared to the low-level input).

TRENDING THREADS