Ampliflier + Floorstanding Speakers within budget of £300 - £400?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting an amplifier with a new set of speakers for Christmas but don't have a lot of experience with such things and could use the knowledge of people on here!

Basically, I'm wanting some speakers for listening to music in good quality but then I thought I could get a system to hook up to my TV, DVD player, Laptop, iPod, Xbox and anything else along that sorta line of things. I'm not wanting to spend massive amounts on this and was thinking around the £300 to £400 mark, so was wondering what recommendations people have for that sort of thing?

I checked with someone from Richer Sounds today and they've told me about the Cambridge Audio Azur 340A amp and Eltax Concept 400 speakers. They both seem pretty good to me but was curious whether spending a little more may result in a much better system potentially? Or if there are other better systems out there for similar prices?

Cheers!

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I recently had a listen to the CA 340A and CA S30 speakers and thought they sounded really good, nice and enthusiastic sound, crisp and clear. The speakers are standmounts but you could get stands within your budget easily enough. I'm saving up for something like this...

Jonny03:

I'm thinking of getting an amplifier with a new set of speakers for Christmas but don't have a lot of experience with such things and could use the knowledge of people on here!

Basically, I'm wanting some speakers for listening to music in good quality but then I thought I could get a system to hook up to my TV, DVD player, Laptop, iPod, Xbox and anything else along that sorta line of things. I'm not wanting to spend massive amounts on this and was thinking around the £300 to £400 mark, so was wondering what recommendations people have for that sort of thing?

I checked with someone from Richer Sounds today and they've told me about the Cambridge Audio Azur 340A amp and Eltax Concept 400 speakers. They both seem pretty good to me but was curious whether spending a little more may result in a much better system potentially? Or if there are other better systems out there for similar prices?

Cheers!

Went into RS yesterday and noticed Azur 540 amp for about £150 (I think). It's an "out of box" amp hence the discount. You could match it with Mordaunt Short 914, which I think retail for about £250. That would be a good match, although I'm not sure of your other requirements of Xbox etc.

Alternatively, look on Ebay or Sevenoaks Sound & Vision website for Rotel RA-04 ex-dem or s/hand. Again, look at either Mission or KEF IQ5's. They should cover most of your needs.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Within that sort of budget, you'd be better off with standmounts rather than floorstanders. See if you can still get hold of any Monitor Audio RS1's, which are going for around £200, then look at Rotel or Marantz amplification.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys, I will have a look into the things you've mentioned.

I forgot to mention a few things in my first post. Firstly, the Richer Sounds guy said that the Azur 340a is £160 and the speakers are £140.

Secondly, I mainly listen to dance music and I've heard how different speakers/amps/set-ups suit different music tastes. So I'm guessing I'm in need of some "bassy" speakers. I don't know if a subwoofer would factor into this sort of thing at all either? Thought that would be worth noting just in case it turns out what I've already been recommended clashes with that sort of music in any way.

Again, thanks guys!

A

Anonymous

I got a pioneer VSX 819 for 250.00, will send link if you want and thats new and delivered.

And you can get the diamond 9.1s for 99.00 in superfi.

Wont beat that for 350.00 IMHO, Love those diamonds at 99.00

T

the record spot

Jonny03:
Thanks for the replies guys, I will have a look into the things you've mentioned.

I forgot to mention a few things in my first post. Firstly, the Richer Sounds guy said that the Azur 340a is £160 and the speakers are £140.

Secondly, I mainly listen to dance music and I've heard how different speakers/amps/set-ups suit different music tastes. So I'm guessing I'm in need of some "bassy" speakers. I don't know if a subwoofer would factor into this sort of thing at all either? Thought that would be worth noting just in case it turns out what I've already been recommended clashes with that sort of music in any way.

Again, thanks guys!

If you have the room for them, then the impressive Q Acoustics 1050i will romp away with the dynamics and bass delivery you crave and then some. Partner it with a nimble footed amp that adds a little bite to the big delivery of the Q's and you'll be on to a winner - the aforementioned Rotel would make a good partner.

You'll get a double benefit here; I think the Rotel can take a power amp in time, should you wish to add one, while the Q1050i's will withstand a good upgrade or two right on to the likes of the Leema Pulse at £1200.

The 1050i floorstander can be picked up for less than £200, the Rotel might be out on a deal now the SE versions are in the shops. Should be able to do both for your budget.

matthewpiano

Stick to CA for the amp. I'd try to pick up one of the end-of-line 540A V2 with a pair of end-of-line Mordaunt-Short MS902i speakers and some Atacama stands or similar.

I've heard a lot of amps recently - the new Rotels, Marantz, NAD, Arcam, Rega - and to be honest, the CA ones blow everything else out of the water. I never realised how good they were until I did some proper listening and auditioning to other stuff.

If you can stretch to it the 650A is an astonishing piece of kit for £350.

matthewpiano

vinod_david:MP:

It's amazing your likeness for CA has turned so much. On that note, is my guess right, you have an 840A v1 in your setup now ?

No, a 650A. Absolutely love it. Fluid, musical, detailed, involving. I came to realise how good the CA amps are when I heard a Nait 5i and a Roksan K2 again. The 650A is better than either and certainly substantially better than the Marantz 6003 and Rotel 06SE ranges.

I still have reservations about the 740A. I've always liked the 540A and 640A amps and I think the 840A is superb, but the 740A seems to be the one that is least convincing overall.

A

Anonymous

I have an absolutely superb hi fi (in my opinion of course) consisting of what is in my sig, the speakers (floorstanders were 200.00) and the amp, (second hand) was 200.00. The results when coupled with lossless and an external dac, I am a thrilled about and think I will have to spend a great deal of money to significantly better the performance I already have.

To put that into further context (in my opinion again) the Monitor Audio BR2's are a significant improvement over the Wharfedale 9.1's but my Acoustic Energy Neo 3's are huge strides ahead of either in terms of depth, weight, scale and clarity.

matthewpiano

hi fi newbie:
I have an absolutely superb hi fi (in my opinion of course) consisting of what is in my sig, the speakers (floorstanders were 200.00) and the amp, (second hand) was 200.00. The results when coupled with lossless and an external dac, I am a thrilled about and think I will have to spend a great deal of money to significantly better the performance I already have.

To put that into further context (in my opinion again) the Monitor Audio BR2's are a significant improvement over the Wharfedale 9.1's but my Acoustic Energy Neo 3's are huge strides ahead of either in terms of depth, weight, scale and clarity.

For me NAD is the other brand to look at for a great amp without breaking the bank. Always plenty of current to control the speakers. Even something like a C325BEE would make a great amp, although the extra power and control of a C352 is always useful.

I agree - the BR2s are much better than the Wharfedales, either 9.1 or 10.1. Even better (and probably more like the AE Neo 3s) are the Mordaunt-Short Aviano line of speakers. They bring that extra clarity and openess that the BR2s can occasionally struggle with.

Dave2860

May 18, 2011
Visit site
no idea if this post would be still looked at but i owned some eltax concept 400, pretty good sounding speakers hard to top for the price point, my only issues are the bass and mids, it could be my rooms acoustics but these are seriously bassy, was reducing it to -8 on my amp, good for partys etc. and the mid range driver seem to loose it once pushed it seems like they messed the cross over up but it was kicking with the bass so vocals would dissapear if there was a bass kick or long note on a bass guitar... well worth the money though

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts