admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone had any experience or opinions of the following valve amps:

DK designs standard integrated (a beast and don't know where it will go!) (150W) 1.5 hour drive away

World designs WD88VA XL (35W) 1 hr drive away

Eastern Electric M520 (25W) auction

I'm looking for a change of sound and listen to everything from female vocals to techno. The amps will be on speakers with sensitivity of 86dB in a smallish room and low to moderate volumes.

Many thanks

Lee

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
You don't mention prices but given my limited knowledge I'd favour the WD unit. This is because I've heard this design thru my speakers and loved it. However, given your speakers' low sensitivity it may be that the DK unit would be better suited.
I'd be putting my speakers and source in the car and making a couple of visits I think.
Let us know how you get on with whatever you choose buddy as I'm V interested in going valve myself.

A

Anonymous

Andrewknight,

I visited sounds of music this evening and listened to the DK design hybrid amp and an ayon spark valve amp. On the strength of these two amps, if I didn't listen to electronic and dance music, I would ONLY be auditioning valve. It sounds amazing for music that has NOT been produced on a computer. Space, airy, REAL!!! Yeh, the bass is not as accurate but you get so much more with every other aspect of the sound.

As it is, I still like dance music, so will have to continue the search (solid state and valve). Others have recommended Icon Audio, Beard and Puresound as amps to audition.

Good luck!

I will have to wait until there is an opportunity to audition some more amps.

Prior to today, my hifi has been purchased on others recommendations. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN ANY MORE!!!

Oh, the ayon was 40 amps and the volume was fine (moderate). The guy at the shop mentioned that sensitivity is one thing but also driver size and quantity makes more of a difference.

Instead, I will use others expertise to guide my auditioning. lesson learned!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts