amplifier upgrade

Tommy1964

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I need a good sounding amp for about £300- music is now mainly ipod based, and I dont like excessive bass.

Would the yamaha AS 500 fit in? also tempted by the rega brio as now reduced. Speakers are Q 2020 and am very satisfied with them.

Any ideas to help me decide?

A

Anonymous

How are you getting the music off the iPod? If simply via cable then you are not going to do a £300 amp justice, perhaps better to spend £200ish on an amp (the Yamaha A-S300 perhaps) and £75 on a Pure i20 DAC iPod dock.

I have just bought the Pure and it is excellent so far.

Tommy1964

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
via a cheap creative audio dock(has done very well for two yrs)

I have noticed the new pure dock too, and your idea has been very helpful.

thanks

A

Anonymous

Yes you are using the iPod's DAC so you wont get the best out of the amp and speakers.

I have tried it, iPod with CD ripped in iTunes to 320kbps AC files a) direct to amp and b) through the Pure i20 compared with the original CD, the Pure is closer to the original CD, very, very good!

T

the record spot

Spend £55 on the Sansui AU-217 amp currently on Ebay for a Buy It Now (I have one, it is superb, musical, well built and has a lovely tonal quality - 30wpc, perfect for the 2020s), and then a further £150 on a Spitfire II DAC also on Ebay. Audio Elevation are doing a deal on Ebay (not their own site) as are one or two other online sellers. Shop around for the deal as the normal price is £250. Job done. Unless you don't want used gear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts