Amplifier Upgrade Advice Please

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I am currently in upgrade mode, and would appreciate your help in putting together a short-list of products to consider. Generally, I am happy with the sound of my current set-up, but am considering an amp change in an effort to add a bit more detail, broaden the soundstage and maybe adding a tiny bit of warmth.

My current set-up is :
Source : Audiolab 8200CD/AVA Rip-N-Play/Squeezebox Touch
Amps : Audiolab 8200P/Q Pre & Power
Speakers : KEF R500

Am very happy with the sources, and love the R500s. My plan is to move to a better integrated, with a budget of up to about £1.7k plus what I can get from selling/trading in the Audiolab amps. The current shortlist is :
- Primare i32
- Music Fidelity M6i
- Bryston B60R
- Roksan Caspian M2.

Any thoughts on my plan and the short list would be gratefully received.

Jacko

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The Audiolab 8200Q is a good power amp. How about keeping it and trying a new pre-amp? Bryston, Primare and Music Fidelity all have great pre-s which might work well and would be cheaper.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Some very good amps on your short list but I think you should add the Electrocompaniet ECI3 integrated and they retail at £1925 , it is a solid extremely well built superb sounding amp .

Well worth a listen IMO :)

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/electrocompaniet-eci-3-618281/review

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Some very good amps on your short list but I think you should add the Electrocompaniet ECI3 integrated and they retail at £1925 , it is a solid extremely well built superb sounding amp .

Well worth a listen IMO :)

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/electrocompaniet-eci-3-618281/review

Beat me to it Electro!

Mac

Wolf75

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I would add the Heed Obelisk Si (with or without the X2 power supply) to your list, it's a beautiful sounding, very musical amp.

Personally I would go straight out and buy that Primare i32.

Although I have not heard this particular amp every bit of Primare kit I have owned has amazed me with it's build and sound quality.

The option to add the multi-media module at a later date should make this choice a no-brainer. :)

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
If you want to keep it as an integrated, see if you can get a demo of the Denon PMA-2020ae, I have the 2000ae and its a cracking amp.

An Audionote Oto may well be worth an audition at that price too, you be supprised how far 10wpc can go :grin:

A bit left of field, but I'd want a listen to the Cambridge Audio Azur 851a which retails at c £1200. It has had raves both sides of the Atlantic and would do DAC duties too, if required. But with sale of your Audiolabs, you could afford Electrcompaniet, Primare, Krell and Copland integrateds, not to mention some interesting valve devices, like Prima Luna.

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks very much for your input - much food for thought. I have a Primare i32 on home loan now. It's a great looking, beautifully built amp that sounds very crisp and full of detail.....

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks very much for your input - much food for thought. I have a Primare i32 on home loan now. It's a great looking, beautifully built amp that sounds very crisp and full of detail.....

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
If you want to add a bit more warmth try the Yamaha As2000 intergrated amp.

Built to very high standards , sounds superb.

Tone controls, phono stage, All the connections you can think of.

PLUS headphone jack. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts