Amplifier that can run both 4 and 8 ohms speakers, can it run 6 ohms speakers

Gray

What you need to understand is that the quoted impedance figure for a speaker is nominal.
During use, the impedance seen by the amplifier varies.
An eight ohm speaker, for example, for some of the time will be 6 ohms, it might even briefly dip below 4 ohms.
If your quoted wattages are true for 4 and 8 ohms, then all you can say for sure is that, for the time when the impedance hits 6 ohms, the wattage will be somewhere between 90-130W.

You ask if the amp can run 6 ohms.
If any amp can happily run 4 ohms, then you can be sure it will run 6.

My answer is the same as I said in ŷour very similar question here…

“(Impedance) isn’t a fixed number anyway, but no need to concern yourself with that.”

What you need to understand is that the quoted impedance figure for a speaker is nominal.
During use, the impedance seen by the amplifier varies.
An eight ohm speaker, for example, for some of the time will be 6 ohms, it might even briefly dip below 4 ohms.
If your quoted wattages are true for 4 and 8 ohms, then all you can say for sure is that, for the time when the impedance hits 6 ohms, the wattage will be somewhere between 90-130W.

You ask if the amp can run 6 ohms.
If any amp can happily run 4 ohms, then you can be sure it will run 6.
Too true. The perfect example were my RS6s. Nominal impedance is quoted 6 ohms but it could dip to about 2.5 ohms (IIRC). Shouldn't be a problem unless the amp is low powered.

Reactions: soundsky and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts