Amplifier recommendation for DM 603 S2 speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm quite new to the Hi-fi world, actually trying to get together my first set at the moment. I've recently purchased a pair of BW DM 603 S2 speakers. Visually they are in very good condition and although I don't have a decent comparative reference point, I was really impressed by their sound while testing on the previous owners set!

Anyways, I'm looking for a second hand amplifier to power these speakers. I've been looking for NAD C370's on ebay but the ones that I liked jumped too high on the price. The fact that they are 10+ years old is also putting me down; I don't want to end up with a broken amp in a few years. I was almost buying a C372 but I decided not to, after reading some negative reviews about their reliability.

My budget is up to £200, but can increase a little bit if it's going to make a significant difference. I mainly listen electronic music and a bit of jazz (psytrance, ambient, chillout, IDM, psychill, psydub, nu jazz...) I don't listen too loud music for long intervals but I want the amplifier to produce enough power to 'drive' the 603's. The amp will be connected to a laptop at the begining, and I'll get a DAC in a month or two...

I'd really appreciate any advice and recommendations. Oh, and I want to buy the amp ASAP so 'save up some money and buy next month' isn't an option. I just can't stand listening to the crap 2.1 while I've got those babies standing in my lounge! : )

Cheers!

PS. Could Yamaha AS-500 justify these speakers?

tugrul said:
Hi all,

I'm quite new to the Hi-fi world, actually trying to get together my first set at the moment. I've recently purchased a pair of BW DM 603 S2 speakers. Visually they are in very good condition and although I don't have a decent comparative reference point, I was really impressed by their sound while testing on the previous owners set!

Anyways, I'm looking for a second hand amplifier to power these speakers. I've been looking for NAD C370's on ebay but the ones that I liked jumped too high on the price. The fact that they are 10+ years old is also putting me down; I don't want to end up with a broken amp in a few years. I was almost buying a C372 but I decided not to, after reading some negative reviews about their reliability.

My budget is up to £200, but can increase a little bit if it's going to make a significant difference. I mainly listen electronic music and a bit of jazz (psytrance, ambient, chillout, IDM, psychill, psydub, nu jazz...) I don't listen too loud music for long intervals but I want the amplifier to produce enough power to 'drive' the 603's. The amp will be connected to a laptop at the begining, and I'll get a DAC in a month or two...

I'd really appreciate any advice and recommendations. Oh, and I want to buy the amp ASAP so 'save up some money and buy next month' isn't an option. I just can't stand listening to the crap 2.1 while I've got those babies standing in my lounge! : )

Cheers!

The 603 and the smaller brother 602 work well with Arcam http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCAM-DIVA-A75-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-REMOTE-GUIDE-LEAD-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/320978517710?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4abbcf7ece.

Personally I wouldn't be looking at amps that are too old, purely for reliability.

The Arcam, Roksan Kandy MKIII, Rotel 1062, Nad 352... they will probably be beyond your initial budget, not by much.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
As a bit of a guess, I think a Nad amp would be great with those speakers and with the type of music you have described.

Either hold out for a C370 (look on gumtree, loot/classifieds etc not just ebay) or try the little brother C350.

You might find a used or ex demo C326BEE for not much more, but I would personally be tempted towards the older C370 or C350.

I don't tend to worry too much about how many years old something is - if you do your homework and make sure to listen before paying then you can pick up some massive bargains. Many older amps are built like tanks, and are relatively easily fixable too.

Pioneer A400 is another option - I love them, many do, some don't. Would be perfect for your listening preferences.

Audiolab 8000A can be got for good money too.

Recent post by the lovely Drummerman pointed out that some tank style Sony AV amps are available too for silly money.

A

Anonymous

omnibeard and plastic penguin,

Thanks a lot for your answers! I'm desperately looking for a Nad C-352 but the only one I can find is in London and that's just too far away...

It looks like I'll either go for the Arcam A75 or NAD 350. Asuming that NAD is in good condition, would you expect a significant difference in the sound and performance of the speakers? I know A75 would be the sensible choice given the age difference but my only concern is that almost every review on DM 603 S2 says they are very power hungry and need to be fed with a really powerful amplifier.

Regards.

tugrul said:
omnibeard and plastic penguin,

Thanks a lot for your answers! I'm desperately looking for a Nad C-352 but the only one I can find is in London and that's just too far away...

It looks like I'll either go for the Arcam A75 or NAD 350. Asuming that NAD is in good condition, would you expect a significant difference in the sound and performance of the speakers? I know A75 would be the sensible choice given the age difference but my only concern is that almost every review on DM 603 S2 says they are very power hungry and need to be fed with a really powerful amplifier.

Regards.

Tricky one because the 603s are pretty bass-heavy, likewise Nad amps have the same traits. Arcam is sensible choice if you don't need to play at club levels. Detail, transparency and subtlety best describes Arcam. The Nad is nicely detailed and packs a hefty punch but lacks a little openness IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Thanks plastic penguin.

We've got the A75 as the sensible and 350 as the cheap but also good option. To be honest £100 difference makes 350 quiet tempting as well...

Incidentily I'll be working in a site very close to the C350 tomorrow. I'll try to go and see it before I make my mind. Again, thanks a lot for the help you provided.

Regards.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just repeating what have just said elsewhere but I have BW 603s3 and have been hugely impressed how good they sound with an Arcam Alpha 9.

I know they are old but I got one for under £150 and it has been faultless, one of my best purchases.

Currently listening to it now , bass is suberb, not too boomy, although I do like a lot of bass, but treble is sweet , no harshness and just a total pleasure to listen to.

I have a NAD C370 that I have yet to try out with my speakers but the synergy between the Arcam and BW seems spot on for these models, just my opinion of course.

Good luck, have fun.

A

Anonymous

I couldn't find a Nad 350 or 352 and bought the Arcam A75. I'm very happy with the sound in general, although I feel some some tracks are lacking of bass, especially at lower volumes. A DAC will be the next step. Thanks all for the advice and recommendations!

A

Anonymous

A quick update;

I've got myself an Arcam r-PAC today. The difference is unbelivable - The sleeping giant has awoken!

The bass is MUCH stronger, precise, punchy and not laid back at all. The trebles are much more stable and clear - not too bright anymore. The mid-range has also improved a lot, much more clear and lively.

I'd definitely recommend this setup to any beginner like me. Arcam A75 + B&W DM 603 S2 + Arcam rPAC.

Once more, thanks all for recommendations, this is one of the best purchases I've ever made : )

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
tugrul said:
Hi all,

Cheers!

Hi, well I'm not a big BnW fan to be honest and I've heard so many combinations that didn't work with BnWs...but then there are some that work magic. I absolutely love the Audiolab and BnW combination, Audiolabs have the ability to tame the boominess of BnWs. I would recommend the Audiolab 8000 for the 603s....I think its a great match and well under your budget too.

Regards,

Shafin

TRENDING THREADS