Amplifier Question

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
If an amplifier can drive 2 sets of speakers and the speaker connectors are unswitched, meaning they are always hot, does that mean when you only use 1 set of speakers you are not getting all the amps power? I suspect that all the power goes to the whichever speaker post has a load, but I'd like an explanation if anyone has one. Thanks
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Yeah, you're correct in your thinking Jax. If there's no electrical circuit then no voltage can flow. Only when you connect the terminals together, hopefully with some speakers inbetween, will power be drawn. If not, electricity would be somewhat more difficult to live with
emotion-8.gif

idc

My father's Pioneer tower system powers speakers in two rooms. There is a switch which allows A or B or A/B to play. I presume as igglebert said, the amp knows where to send the power to by the completion of the different circuits.

A

Anonymous

My CA 740 checks which speakers are connected when it powers up. Clever huh!

My subwoofer is connected via my B speaker terminals but has its own amplifier, so I presume only a weak signal goes down that output. Guess it depends whats at the end of the cables.

A

Anonymous

As an aside - what happens if you use two different sets of speakers of different impedances? Wouldn't that alter the amount of power available to each set?

I'd assume that the impedance of the subwoofer (taking speaker level inputs) is going to be really high, thus taking negligible power? Am I thinking this through right?

As an additional aside, how come bi-wiring doesn't screw up levels? You're effectively running two speakers in parallel from one set of speaker terminals (or at least I am - only set of speaker outs!), so if they're each 8ohm (nominal) you'd be giving the amp a load of 4ohms wouldn't you? I've never really thought about this - just used it.....

A

Anonymous

Jawired,

The 4 speakers connections on the back, inside the amplifier are the same, meaning that from the amplifier itself internally only comes 2 connections to 2 speakers not 4, then a second pair of speaker connection are internally connected to this, so it's 2 to 4

The A/B switch only lets current pass on either one is selected.

I would like to talk to you about your pre-amp combo, actually I have the C355 serving as a pre to a Emotiva UPA-2 Power amp, but I was thinking of buying the pre-amp combo from NAD like yours and would like some extra information, as I read your postings.

Please e-mail me at: valkilm@hotmail.com

Your help and advises would be very much appreciated

TRENDING THREADS