admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, My current setup is...

Mission 753 speakers

ipod 160gb

Exposure 2010s CD

Nakamichi Amplifier 1

It's clear that I need a new amp and I'm aware my speakers are probably a bit dated but saying that I still really like them! I've been on here recently asking for suggestions for a new amp and someone said Exposure 2010s. I didn't realise it existed and on looking, it's really nice, would match my existing seperates, should go OK with the Missions and is upgradable with the power amp at £500. However I went round a friends house the other day and he's got some active loudspeakers. I'm thinking I could upgrade amp and speakers in 1 hit by possibly getting some although I'd want to make sure I'm getting an appreciable increase in quality compared to spending £600 on the Exposure. Has anyone got active loudspeakers and would recommend them? I was under the impression that the idea of having seperates is to seperate everything so different components don't interfere. Please discuss! Your comments will be appreciated. Many thanks.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
By far the most impressive active speakers I've heard lately are the AVI ADM9s (£1000, 5 stars, October 07). Hunt a pair down and have listen compared to the Expsoure 2010s.

In fact, while you're at it try and hear Naim's Nait 5i integrated too. You should know where your preferences lie at the end of that.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Simon. I've read a little about the AVI ADM9s speakers and it appears if I go with this route, I may be better ditching my CD player, amp, speakers and getting a media centre computer for use with them. Would you agree? Also I'm concerned that if I did go with this route that the fan noise from a computer may be irritating. I've also heard about other brands of active speakers such as Mackie, KRK and Behringer. I've read in another conversation you have first hand experience of the AVI's. Have you seen any offerings from any other brands and if so, how do they compare? I'm going to try and arrange to test drive the stuff you've suggested ASAP. I'll let you know how I get on when I can. Cheers.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi. I'm stalling having a look at the AVI's as I'm so broke at the moment but I've just been doing some reading and apparently there is a sub to go with them. Is it essential to have this as far as performance is concerned?

matthewpiano

[quote user="bscm1977"]
Thanks Simon. I've read a little about the AVI ADM9s speakers and it appears if I go with this route, I may be better ditching my CD player, amp, speakers and getting a media centre computer for use with them. Would you agree? Also I'm concerned that if I did go with this route that the fan noise from a computer may be irritating. I've also heard about other brands of active speakers such as Mackie, KRK and Behringer. I've read in another conversation you have first hand experience of the AVI's. Have you seen any offerings from any other brands and if so, how do they compare? I'm going to try and arrange to test drive the stuff you've suggested ASAP. I'll let you know how I get on when I can. Cheers.
emotion-1.gif

[/quote]

Mackie and Behringer make studio and sound reinforcement speakers. These are not suitable for a hi-fi set-up. Active speakers can be fantastic but it does take away your flexibility. After all the biggest change you can make to a system is the speakers and its good to be able to change these without having to ditch your amplification as well.

A

Anonymous

matthew i wouldnt be so quick to dismiss studio speakers for hi-fi use - i seem to remember Rogers had a monitor that was and still is very popular for hi-fi use.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts