Amplifier for Harbeth P3esr, and a DAC too

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Naim Supernait, and Harbeth P3esr. Source is a Mac Mini playing lossless and using the optical into the DAC of the Supernait.

I'm looking to downsize as the SN is a little overkill for these small speakers. I could get something cheaper and save some money. I have tried a Nait XS for a while and this sounded pretty similar to the SN, and is half the price. The problem is, it doesn't have a dac.

Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions for a decent integrated amp to drive the P3esr, or any amp/dac combos which are good? I have looked at Cyrus, Naim 5i, Naim Unitiqute, Early Naim Naits 1 & 2, Rega Brio-r.

Ideally, something quite compact would be good, but I could go full size.

Budget, I would say max £1200 for both amplifier and dac, and willing to buy used, too.

Thanks!

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Would you consider the Onkyo TX-8050? Plenty of power and built in DAC for £350 plus a lot of very good user feedback.

How are you getting on with the AVIs?

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I would think the UnitiQute should be just about perfect, and should also be in budget used (or even new if you shop around). As you already know, Naim and Harbeth work extremely well together and the P3ESR's are not a difficult load.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
WinterRacer said:
Would you consider the Onkyo TX-8050? Plenty of power and built in DAC for £350 plus a lot of very good user feedback.

How are you getting on with the AVIs?

Ooh, it's a bit of beast of an amp! Ideally, I'm looking for something a slittle more sleek or compact.

ADM9T are sounding great. I have been comparing the two and it really depends on the track to decide on which system is preferred. The Harbeths are sounding a little smoother, whilst the 9T are more reealling and lively.

I don't believe I will lose much by downgrading the SN for the mini Harbeths. The signature will still be very similar through these speakers.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Bodfish said:
I would think the UnitiQute should be just about perfect, and should also be in budget used (or even new if you shop around). As you already know, Naim and Harbeth work extremely well together and the P3ESR's are not a difficult load.
Maybe you're here, Bodfish. It's probably my most likely option, but wondered if I was missing a trick somewhere!

A

Anonymous

Audiokid,

Try Rega Dac and Rega Brio-R. It's both a good sounding and versatile solution, taking no more place than your Supernait. The Brio-R will be a step down in terms of dynamics and separation but not so much on musicality. The Rega Dac will be a significant step up from the internal dac of the Supernait, which is ok but not that great.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
audiokid said:
Bodfish said:
Maybe you're here, Bodfish. It's probably my most likely option, but wondered if I was missing a trick somewhere!

I think the Qute would be the 'obvious' choice but I for one would be curious about the Rega combo with the Harbeth's too. Though then you've got additional mains leads/interconnects etc.

A

Anonymous

Supernait may be overkill in terms of power, but it's just proper to your Harbeths as regards audio quality. The Harbeths do deserve a high quality amplifier like your Naim Supernait. Don't do that!

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input, guys. I fired up the SN with the mini Harbeths and decided it's a keeper. Other combos may be as good, but figured its too much of a risk and perhaps not financially beneficial. Would be interested to try a Cyrus combo one day, but there's no rush.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts