Amplifier: Failed Denon PMA 250 II- need to replace

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My 16 year old Denon PMA 250 III amp has failed (one channel has gone very quiet). I use it with a Marantz CD 52 player and a Denon TU 26L tuner with Tannoy 6o5 speakers, it also connects with an Onkyo AV to drive the front 2 speakers for sound surround (i.e. I use my Tannoy 6o5 as part of sound surround ). All the components were bought at the same time so I guess it will all start failing soon, hence by replacing the amp I want to start the basis of a new system. I am prepared to spend upto £1k on a new amp, but I would like recommendations on a range of amps from say £200 upwards as I want to listen to each one and buy at the price level when I can not spot the improvement in sound (as I did when I bought the original system). We listen to classical music in the main with easy listening stuff (Sinatra to U2). The new system is for a big room with an open ceiling (old cow shed).

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I still use an 'intermediate' Denon PMA-355UK, which started as a temporary stop-gap solution after I sold my previous cyrus/ProAc system. What a great little amplifier and it has in no way been upstaged by most amplifiers I've had here during the last 8 months or so, some over your budget. The only reason I say this is that if you (basically) like the sound of your denon (spritely, punchy and with good drive and easy to loose yourself in the music rather than to analyse) there have been only two systems I've used that do the same for me;

AVI's ADM9.1 active speakers (They include pre-amp and DAC too with R/C) plus a small sub from Ruark (BK electronics Minotaur is the same) and a Naim system based on the new XS and matching CD5x with some MS/Epos based speakers.

Both are over your budget and with the AVI's you get an almost complete system for just under the price of the Naim XS. I'm not even going to say which one is better but both are world class in their own ways and I'd urge you to listen to both if you can and make your own mind up, perhaps save for a few weeks more.

Naim's XS would be my only amplifier choice and with the matching cdp was the best system I heard under 3k. The AVI's are the best system I've heard up to 3k
emotion-1.gif

As always my opinion only.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Simon M:
My 16 year old Denon PMA 250 III amp has failed (one channel has gone very quiet). I use it with a Marantz CD 52 player and a Denon TU 26L tuner with Tannoy 6o5 speakers, it also connects with an Onkyo AV to drive the front 2 speakers for sound surround (i.e. I use my Tannoy 6o5 as part of sound surround ). All the components were bought at the same time so I guess it will all start failing soon, hence by replacing the amp I want to start the basis of a new system. I am prepared to spend upto £1k on a new amp, but I would like recommendations on a range of amps from say £200 upwards as I want to listen to each one and buy at the price level when I can not spot the improvement in sound (as I did when I bought the original system). We listen to classical music in the main with easy listening stuff (Sinatra to U2). The new system is for a big room with an open ceiling (old cow shed).

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

If you like the Denon sound, you would have to listen to the PMA-1500AE. I am biased but the Cambridge Audio 840A v2 at £799 is a must listen too. I have the v1 which is brilliant but there are only a handful left around the country at £399 (rrp £750). They offer a fixed level input, perfect for when you connect the pre out front speakers on your AV amp (as you seem to do). The Kandy K2 is another amp near the top of your budget. As for cheaper models, usual suspects are CA 740 and 640 amps, the latest from Nad £300 upwards, Rotel budget amps. I would normally rave over the Creek Evo but I had to sell mine because it couldn't link up to my AV amp.

T

the record spot

Get hold of a Marantz PM7001-KI on an end of line or discontinued deal. Superb amp for the money at full price, even better reduced. Dynamic, good clarity, traditional HQ build spect from Ken Ishiwata. Seek one out and listen. Expect to pay circa £400 from about £600.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts