Amplifier dilemma

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:
matt49 said:
DocG said:
Have you played with the tube buffer yet?

Ooh err!

Hi Matt, I take it I said something funny here, but my English is too blunt to grasp it...*fool* Give me a hint, will you?

Apologies: my juvenile sense of humour. The words 'tube' and 'buff' are a bit lewd.

Are you familiar with Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer?

[they sing]

Vic: I was the groom

Bob: And I was your best man

Vic: I stood at the altar

Bob: And I buffed your ring.

I haven't heard of the gents you mention (will google them. I promise), but I get it. The swear filtre should have stopped me! Where is it when you need it? Mods!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I can assure you it's meaning is humorous in a friendly manner!

I know it is, Colin (I knew that, even before I understood what was said). I was being ironic (or trying to be)... Should've added some sort of smiley...*pardon*

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for the tardy answer, but I've been too busy playing with my tube *wink*

I was playing some music yesterday and before I realised it, it was 1 AM.
But I did experiment a bit with the tube, and it does make some difference, especially on tracks that aren't the best quality recordings. It just gives that extra bit of smoothness to the sound, without losing detail. On very good recordings, you can hear it, but just not as clearly.

DocG said:
While you're there, indulge yourself with the gorgeous Pathos, Unison and Synthesis stuff he stocks -- it'll start nagging sooner or later! *diablo*

Hopefully not too soon, the bank account will have to recover first *smile*
And the next step will probably be a decent streamer with dlna and spotify (connect) support. The Denon had one built in, but that one is being used for surround now. For now I've connected my old WD Live to the Peachtree. Which isn't too bad, but Spotify support is really limited and it doesn't support gapless playback *sad*

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes, my quest came to an end *biggrin*

I went to listen to the NAD c326, Marantz PM7005 and Denon 1520, but none of them was able to match the Peachtree, in terms of sound quality and/or features like the built-in DAC.
Today I picked up an Argon Stream 2 for Spotify, internet radio and streaming my flac-files from my NAS. Hooked it up to the Nova's optical connection and now I have all the functionality I need, and the quality I've always wanted.

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts