Amplifier and phono speakers for £100?

alistairshields

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I really want to start listening to vinyls more, but need advice on speakers and an amplifier. My budget is £100, which I appreciate isn't great but as a student i'm short on cash! I've already got a turntable and some vinyls, but I need an amplifier and speakers that support a phono output. Obviously, for £100 I'd need to buy second hand. I just need advice on where to look, what brands are good for the price range. I would be prepared to sacrifice a high tech amplifier in exchange for better sounding speakers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My advice is free , and it's worth what is costs . I think you could do worse than a new pair of wharfdale 9.0 from richer sounds at 40 quid then haunt ebay for a decent amp from the late 80 / early 90's on ebay when a phono stage was a must . Some amps have collector status and go for more .

That or check out the larger charity shops , I am often supprised what I see show up at the ones near me .

James

alistairshields

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Those speakers are an absolute steal! Thank you so much for th recommendation! I'll keep looking on ebay for the amp too. Your advice is really helpful and greatly appreciated!

Alistair

alistairshields

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Those speakers are an absolute steal! Thank you so much for th recommendation! I'll keep looking on ebay for the amp too. Your advice is really helpful and greatly appreciated!

Alistair

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you search locally on eBay, you'll save on postage or if its collection only you might pick up a real bargain as they never get as high. I've just replaced an Arcam Alpha 5+ that i picked up on eBay for less than those speakers, it was only a stop gap after my amp bit the dust until i could afford the upgrade i wanted but it served me well..

T

the record spot

I'd skip the Sansui AU-117 which wasn't apparently all that great. I would however go and actively seek out the AU-217 by the same company though. Had one of these and it kicks the NAD 3020 (and its many variants) into a cocked hat. I had one and it's a killer amp though you wouldn't know it to look at. Good phono stage too. Check Gumtree as well, some total bargains on that site.

TRENDING THREADS