Amplifier advice please

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

Long time reader, first time posting. I wonder if you can help me find an amplifier to suit my needs.

I have a pair of active speakers (Yamaha HS5) and a pair of regular hifi speakers (Monitor Audio Silver RS1). RS1s are connected to a budget integrated amp (Sony TA-FE370) via RCA. The source is a Pro-ject Debut III. The HS5s are connected directly to my DAC (Oppo 105-D) via XLR.

So, I essentially have one setup for analog playback and the other for digital - what I'm looking for is a replacement amp that unites all my sources and speakers i.e. with RCA in, XLR in, XLR out and bi-wirable speaker outs so I can hear either source through whichever set of speakers I want.

Is there a suitable amp you would recommend? I'm just not knowledgable enough on pre-amp vs integrated or benefits of matching components, mono amps etc. I don't need the amp to have a DAC, so a decent analogue amp with the right connection options should sort me out. I'm open to options with and without a built in phono stage.

I'd really like some advice on how to get the best out of my equipment and the options available to me.

Cheers,
Rafi

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I think you're going to have trouble finding one with balanced outputs. In hi fi amps I suspect you may have to settle for RCA pre out and use cables with RCA connectors at the amp side and XLR at the active speaker end.

it might help people out if you give us an idea of budget. As you talk about pre/power combinations and monoblocks I'm assuming you have a pretty big budget, although there are some pre/power combinations available at relatively budget levels.

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt response. My budget is relatively modest, up to £1.2k, maybe stretch to £2.2k if getting a pre and power.

I realise now that mentioning monoblocks and pre/pros, given my budget, just goes to show my limited knowledge!

Cheers for your comments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts