Amp upgrade :)

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, came across one of these on ebay Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite. Was wondering if it would be a decent upgrade for my current hifi and whether it would be a better than the NAD C355bee? I used too have the nad wont go there why i dont have it anymore haha.

Any help would be hugely appreciated
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Go on; what happened to the NAD?
smiley-frown.gif

IMO and for my personal tastes I wouldnt go for the Pearl Lite; I found it far too smooth and warm with M/A RX6's and my taste in music.

If you did want to move on up from your current amp maybe the Roksan K2 or a decent 2nd hand Arcam Alpha 10 or F<J A32 would be worth looking at.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
haha well the NAD is probably repairable. I left it running for a few hours without speakers connected as i was testing it on a mates speakers completly forgot to turn it all off few too many drinks
smiley-embarassed.gif
and now it sounds like s#it
smiley-frown.gif
. But i still want too upgrade anyway even when i get the NAD fixed. the kandy is very tempting there just hard too find where i am (aus) I'm really looking for better all round naturalness a better soundstage more open more detail and more intricacy. I know the RX-6s dont help as there a bit clinical. but an amp with these charactaristics would be a good starting point
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

RX6's clinical; you sure?!?!

That's the first I've heard anyone call them that...

How did they sound with the NAD before it was damage; and how do they sound now with the Marantz?

Arcam and Rotel as well as the likes of Leema and Creek are amps deffo worth looking it when it comes to the RX6's

josh05 said:
Hey all, came across one of these on ebay Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite. Was wondering if it would be a decent upgrade for my current hifi and whether it would be a better than the NAD C355bee? I used too have the nad wont go there why i dont have it anymore haha.

Any help would be hugely appreciated
smiley-smile.gif

Hi josh05

NAD C356BEE or if you are happy to consider a used amplifier then the superb Marantz PM94. The PM94 will hit your Monitor Audio Silver RX6's for a six :) No Lite engineering involved in the PM94
smiley-wink.gif
instead solid old school engineering :)

PM94 - this is Marantz. Old is gold :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replys people
smiley-smile.gif

The NAD was defiently the better of the 2 clearer more detail and a more open soundstage. However the Marantz is much more tonally even. The NAD was a tad to bassy for me. The NAD CDP probably doesnt help that either.

I think its the way the RX-6s are so well controlled it sounds as if they are too controlled to be natural

Rick, Im not so sure about another NAD (the bass issue) and would the PM94 really compete with whats on todays market? most of the older gear i've heard does have a huge open soundstage and naturalness but do they have the clarity and detail of todays amps?

Thanks guys
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

In that case Josh definitly consider Arcam (if you can a 2nd hand Arcam Alpha 10 or an FMJ A32); if not the Leema Pulse and Creek Evo II amps should be considered.

Have you ever considered Cyrus; I've heard the RX6's with the Cyrus 8VS2 and the 8XP and they sounded superb (all be it they were being fed by a Rega Saturn CDP).

The Rotel RA1520 is an amp that should be considered as well; superb amp, a bit more toneally even than the NAD but still with plenty of guts
smiley-wink.gif

josh05 said:
Thanks for the replys people
smiley-smile.gif

The NAD was defiently the better of the 2 clearer more detail and a more open soundstage. However the Marantz is much more tonally even. The NAD was a tad to bassy for me. The NAD CDP probably doesnt help that either.

I think its the way the RX-6s are so well controlled it sounds as if they are too controlled to be natural

Rick, Im not so sure about another NAD (the bass issue) and would the PM94 really compete with whats on todays market? most of the older gear i've heard does have a huge open soundstage and naturalness but do they have the clarity and detail of todays amps?

Thanks guys
smiley-smile.gif

Hi josh05

Yes, i feel the Marantz PM94 can still compete with current production amplifiers. The PM94 also has clarity and detail which it presents in a natural and powerful manner which helps avoid a forward and tinny sound.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts