Amp upgrade?

David Parkes

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I have recently bought a pair of neat sx1, and what a transformation over my kef r100. Absolutely love them. I am using an arcam a19 as my amp. Would I get an improvement with a new amp, e.g. A rega elex-r? What's a good combo with neat?

Don't want to spend money for the sake of it. I want a discernible different.

thanks all!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd say the two best amplifiers around that price point are the arena Elex-R and the Primare I22. They're quite different to listen to, so will depend on the sound you're looking for. The Primare uses Class D amplification, so it is tight, clean, neutral - you'll be listening more to your Neats than the amplifier. I would guess though, if you like your Arcam, you'll very much like the Elex.

davidf said:
I'd say the two best amplifiers around that price point are the arena Elex-R and the Primare I22. They're quite different to listen to, so will depend on the sound you're looking for. The Primare uses Class D amplification, so it is tight, clean, neutral - you'll be listening more to your Neats than the amplifier. I would guess though, if you like your Arcam, you'll very much like the Elex.

Apart from the Primare recommendation I think a Nait 5si might partner well although, as always, an audition would be useful here as some people just cannot get on with the Naim house sound. Also the Creek Evolution 50 might be considered.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Depending on your taste.the rega is much better.but it has different characteristics from the arcam.The rega is fast were as the Arcam can be a bit sluggish.And yes the primare i22 good choice David

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
You might be better off deciding if or where you need improvement before an upgrade, otherwise it may be spending for the sake of it. Sometimes an update just becomes a sidestep resulting in a thinner wallet

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I demoed the Rega Elex-r against the Arcam A29 and Nait 5si (with Rega digital source and speakers) and in the dealers demo much preferred the Elex-r. In particular, I found the Arcam A29 by comparison to the Elex-r slightly recessed, less exciting. I had the Elex-r on home demo for a few days and enjoyed it a lot, if my budget was tighter, I probably would have kept the Elex-r.

But as always, if you can, you need to demo them, and then get your favorite on home demo for a few days to be sure.

rainsoothe

Hi. I only heard the SX 3 and found them a bit too forward with naim nap 200 and QED xt 400 speaker cable (silver). Imo the Neats benefit from the Arcam type of sound. Apart from trying stuff higher in the Arcam range, I'd try Croft Phono Integrated (provided it has enough oomph for the Neats), Naim Nait XS(first gen, so used) or maybe the 5si, Electrocompaniet, stuff like that.

David Parkes

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all. Will I get a benefit switching my amp? Does a £1k amp get you better performance than my a19 or am I just wasting dosh? I know demo is the way to go, but if it's a sideways step, I won't go to all the bother. Tough question I know! Thanks.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
David Parkes said:
Thanks all. Will I get a benefit switching my amp? Does a £1k amp get you better performance than my a19 or am I just wasting dosh? I know demo is the way to go, but if it's a sideways step, I won't go to all the bother. Tough question I know! Thanks.
yes it will definitely get you a better amp but the trouble is what your needs are.Take the primare i22 which is what I upgraded to from the a19.for me a total different sound.its in a totally different world from the Arcam but the Arcam had some better attributes like dynamics.listening is the only way.the a19 is a great amp and I would recommend to anyone but sometimes your tastes change like now you've heard the neat from the kef's

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
David Parkes said:

To get a real upgrade for £1000 id much rather pick up a bargin 2nd hand on ebay etc. Im not sure what features you require but have a look. Something may pop up tou never even thought about.

An example while i was looking on ebay was for about £1000 a nad masters 180w per channel duel mono intergrated amp.

Brand new i think you are looking between 3 - 4 grand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts