Amp upgrade decision time

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I am currently using a c.a 540 amp v1 and a c.a 640 cd v1, through a pair of monitor audio rs 1( mission stancettes and atlas equator interconnects).This has been a great system that owes me nothing.I listen to all genres of music.Bill Evans,Pink Floyd, Ray lamontagne, Radiohead,U.2 etc.The current Mrs coolaboola listens to everything from the yeah yeah yeahs (full blast), ting tings(guilty pleasure) and Eva cassidy.This week I have been mostly listening to 'my morning jacket'.

I really like my speakers.I will be getting a dac magic.I am spoiled for choice on which amp to choose and its very difficult for me to demo anything due to where I live.This is where your imputs or observations will be greatly appreciated.

I have £700.Shortlisted are Roksan Kandy,Arcam fmj a32, C.A 840 v2.Cyrus shoe boxes flunk the ergonomic test set by mrs coolaboola.I want my system to have soundstage and detail for long listening sessions.The c.a grates a little treble wise after an hour.My listening room is 4m x 4m approx.Any ideas?

John Duncan

Got to at least *try* the Primare i21, which passes all aesthetic tests known to man, though it may suit your musical tastes more than Mrs C's. Alternatively, for less money, the Marantz PM7001 KI Signature would be worth a listen, along with the Arcam (though I suspect you will discount it). The Roksan and the Cambridge may suit Mrs Coolaboola better than you.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
re Arcam.

With the offers swishing around on that amp I was starting to lean in its direction.My arcam dealer has the a38 but as i cant afford this model and will buy on line so I don't want to be a tyre kicker and waste his time.I heard the arcam solo when I was choosing between m.a rs 1and the b & w 685 and was very impressed with it.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
No doubt mrs c will be endeared to those knobs aswell, however I dont know of any primare dealers on this emerald isle and never heard primare with m.a speakers but it is food for thought.Seem very well screwed together too.I'll price one up and put it in the hat.Thanks John, definite contender.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
coolaboola:any more suggestions? Just about to go for the arcam.

Before you do anything, buy the 840A v2 and demo it at home - you can send it back in a few days time for a full refund if you are not happy. It will blow your current amp away.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks John for finding that very tempting primare and Gerrardasnails for being the voice of reason.I'm just a bit too wary of 2nd hand stuff.If it was thru a recognized distributer that gave it a once over I'd be more tempted.

I'm going to order the cambridge audio 840v2 now.The arcam would be a less calculated impulsive leap of faith with little opton for a u-turn.I'm a sucker for a hard sell (even though I work in hi-end sales).Its still an option if the ca turns out to be pants with the 30day no quibble take back option.Its also a straight road from dublin to belfast for any after sales.

A big sincere thanks(pronounced tanks)

A

Anonymous

You have to give the new Kandy a try before committing to the Arcam. You might be missing a special opportunity!

JohnDuncan:Yes it's a very good deal at the moment, and it's certainly the best amp Arcam have done in the last few years, but oh, those Primare knobs..........

Sorry to hark back on the Primare. Three weeks ago, I went into my 7oaks to look at the I21 - and yes, it's gorgeous looking. However, he reckons the Arcam or Rotel 06 with their respective power amps would "sound just as good, if not better than the Primare." And he said would cost less than half the amount of the I21. Nevertheless, if the sound is anywhere near its looks, I'll be seriously tempted.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Just snapped up a 840v1 for £499.The £250 saving over the v2 thats left in the kitty will be used for a dac magic.It leaves me with a bit of a shrine to c.a but has to be positive in the synergy factor.

C.A 540cd v2 into a dac magic into 840v1 amp into m.a. rs1 = many hours before next upgrade itch.

P.S. mrs coolaboola will hear the yeah yeah yeahs like never before.might have to hide the ting tings

coolaboola:

Just snapped up a 840v1 for £499.The £250 saving over the v2 thats left in the kitty will be used for a dac magic.It leaves me with a bit of a shrine to c.a but has to be positive in the synergy factor.

C.A 540cd v2 into a dac magic into 840v1 amp into m.a. rs1 = many hours before next upgrade itch.

P.S. mrs coolaboola will hear the yeah yeah yeahs like never before.might have to hide the ting tings

Well done, coola. What does it sound like?

coolaboola:

DHL monday.Delivery Tuesday.Cough cough sick note wednesday.Hopefully big grin by thursday.Will keep posted.

And no, not rs6 friday!!!

emotion-2.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
coolaboola:

Coola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you had told me you were going for a V1 (I have it and you will be happy). If you sign up with Richer Sounds VIP club (all you do is give them your email address), I'm pretty sure you can get one for £399!

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
f..A.O gerrardasnails

(yoda voice) an audiophile well informed bargain hunter you are.

although said amp is ordered, haven,t actually parted with credit card details.I am a rs vip member but must have spamed that £399 offer.I'll hit them with that when they ask for payment.However being of a reasonable and sunny disposition if they cant go that extra 100 quid I'll settle for a ca 640 phono amp and free delivery.

If either way works out my man its pints of the black stuff on me next time you hit Dublin

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
coolaboola:
f..A.O gerrardasnails

(yoda voice) an audiophile well informed bargain hunter you are.

although said amp is ordered, haven,t actually parted with credit card details.I am a rs vip member but must have spamed that £399 offer.I'll hit them with that when they ask for payment.However being of a reasonable and sunny disposition if they cant go that extra 100 quid I'll settle for a ca 640 phono amp and free delivery.

If either way works out my man its pints of the black stuff on me next time you hit Dublin

I've just signed in as a VIP member and checked the said amp and it's saying £499. I must be going mad. Really sorry to hit you with this - it's still a great price for such an amp. I love a pint of the black stuff as well!

TRENDING THREADS