Amp that can handle streaming HD Audio (24/192)

Squidders

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I didn't know where to put this but here seems like a good place.

My current setup is a Apple TV3, a Naim UnitiQute streamer, a Naim NAP 100 power amplifier and PMC Twenty.23 speakers and I love it all. The sound is amazing and I can stream all my ripped CDs and purchased HD audio content from my Synology NAS. Love it.

BUT... I also have a few Apple TV's around the house and want an Apple TV 4 - which only has one HDMI out that carries audio and video information. The Naim UnitiQute has optical in which is perfect for my Apple TV3 but no HDMI.

Does anyone know of an AV Receiver that can stream HD audio that sounds great? I know most will handle the HDMI feed from the Apple TV but I don't want to miss out on the music.

If there is anything around that's good, I'd be part funding it with the Naim items so have a budget of about £1500 and would be keeping my stereo speakers because they're so good.

Going mad here... thanks!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
How about one of these?

CYP HDMI to Stereo Audio (2 Phono) ARC extractor:

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=8671#.Vi6Kqyv0e5I

Another option would be the Cambridge or Oppo Bluray players that have HDMI inputs but can output to analogue RCA into your Unitiqute.

If you have a system you really like, I'd really avoid box swapping too much. You will regret it!

Squidders

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the link... I was looking at a very similar item earlier for the optical out:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-9832-cyp-au11cd-hdmi-audio-de-embedder-with-repeater.aspx?VariantHid=19760&gclid=COebs-ON4cgCFWrpwgodnGwLLA

You are saying what I was thinking - that sticking with my current equipment until there is a really compelling reason is a good idea. Perhaps in another few years there will be something that does everything well. I can dream.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I would think it's your best option, especially if you're really happy with your current system's sound.

HDMI stereo options are pretty limited:

Linn Sneaky DSM - not especially powerful

NAD C510 preamp - not cheap when you add a power amp

Arcam SR250 - could be a really nice machine but expected rrp £2200 which seems expensive for what it is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts