Amp Suggestions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks fella's, unfortunately i didnt get to listen to one of the Lavardin's but a secondhand Luxman came up so i went for it. I still would had to have a phono stage and headphone amp so i'm well pleased. :grin:

Cheers, Ed

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Macspur

Sorry for the very slow reply :oops:

I'm not sure about the soundstage as i'm not very articulate describing what i hear but the amp and speakers are a great match. Its just so easy to listen to, just the right amount of warmth, detail and smoothness, the bass seems more tunefull as someone decribed to you, bass lines are really easy to follow especially at low volumes which was one of the important things for me.

Just been listening to Way Out West by Sonny Rollins on vinyl and its sounds sublime! All is good so far.

The Luxman is a great amp but i dont think you could do much better that your Sugden Masterclass unless you had really deep pockets!

I've a few more things to sort out such as speaker cables and possibly get a re-wire on the tone arm (cant afford to upgrade the TT yet)

Cheers, Ed

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
I've a few more things to sort out such as speaker cables....

Cheers, Ed

Please consider Telurium Q; demo the "Black" if you can, as I think it would be a good improvement.

Otherwise, Atlas Hyper is very good.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
Hi Macspur

Sorry for the very slow reply :oops:

I'm not sure about the soundstage as i'm not very articulate describing what i hear but the amp and speakers are a great match. Its just so easy to listen to, just the right amount of warmth, detail and smoothness, the bass seems more tunefull as someone decribed to you, bass lines are really easy to follow especially at low volumes which was one of the important things for me.

Just been listening to Way Out West by Sonny Rollins on vinyl and its sounds sublime! All is good so far.

The Luxman is a great amp but i dont think you could do much better that your Sugden Masterclass unless you had really deep pockets!

I've a few more things to sort out such as speaker cables and possibly get a re-wire on the tone arm (cant afford to upgrade the TT yet)

Cheers, Ed

No worries Ed.

Must admit, I'm not too clever at describing what I hear either... just know what I like.

I demoed some Krell gear today, the amp was a S300I and it wasn't a patch on the Sugden, but the CDP S350I for the price was excellent. I also listened to the Audio Research CD5 and that was in a different class, but at twice the price of the Krell, so it should be.

I do love my amp, but I am ever so mindful of the juice it's using and I do listen to a lot of music, so it's on a fair amount of the day.

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
I demoed some Krell gear today, the amp was a S300I and it wasn't a patch on the Sugden.

WHF agrees with you: http://www.whathifi.com/review/krell-s-300i

You are finding the same as me, that it's hard to come back from a good Class A amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts