Amp recommendations for Spendor A9s using Marantz CD7/Dax Decade source?

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Have booked a demo with the Lavardin IT....Any other manufacturers of specific amps, integrated or pre/power that would be a good fit for the Spendors? Musicality and timing are my most important aspects...Spendors have replaced Monitor audio GR60s, Amp will be replacing Tag McLaren pa20r and 4x 125m monoblocks, so I am a little worried about the Lavardins power output. (50 as opposed to the Tags 250 watts p/channel) And the A9s are single wire only...

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I should have mentioned I am using Audioquest Forest for speakers and Diamond interconnects throughout, these can be changed if needed, I've been told the Lavardin likes ' phase coherent' Speaker cable, what ever that means....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, and I'm sorry you haven't had a reply........also for some reason, I've only just noticed it.

Lavardin are wonderfully musical amps, which are not the gutsiest, but it may be able to cope.....the dealer and your ears should be able to tell you. They sound much better with their own very expensive speaker cables, which is something to bear in mind.

The only cable brand that I know of which talks about phase is Telurium Q, but in their case, it's "phase distortion".....I don't know if this is similar.

Other amps that you might like to consider are:

Musical Fidelity AMS35i *

Sugden Masterclass IA-4 *

Electrocompaniet EC 4.7 Pre / AW 2x120M Power

* Don't be put of by the power rating of these Class A amps

IMO. You are heading towards a very nice system.

Cno

In addition to CnoEvil's list I could suggest you try and audition the Edge G3 amp (although it might be a little hard to find compared to the mainstream ones suggested) along with the Densen B-175.

PS I would ask whoever mentioned'phase coherent' speaker cable to clarify matter... as I cannot say i know of any phase incoherent ones. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts