amp or av receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi.

I was wondering if I could replace an amp (in my case CA AZUR 540A V2) with a av receiver (Onkyo for example - new models)?

I use only 2 speaker stereo setup ... will it sound ok ??? I want to connect digital sources to the amp and I don't want to use a DAC ...

What do you recommend ? (DAC or av receiver)

A

Anonymous

Seconded. There are some good sounding AV receivers available, but Krells do cost a fair amount of money.
smiley-smile.gif

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Though it is a pity, It is true! The AV Receivers are not upto giving the similar performance for pure 2 channel set up. Unfortunately DAC seems to be the economical way.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Manufacturing economies of scale and competition in the AV section is fierce giving good value for money. AV receivers come with plenty of facilities you might like, e.g., Network streaming, facility to bi-amp the main speakers, plus they usually have plenty of power which is not to be underestimated.

Have a listen and make your own mind up.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
mihaipopm8 said:
Hi.

I was wondering if I could replace an amp (in my case CA AZUR 540A V2) with a av receiver (Onkyo for example - new models)?

I use only 2 speaker stereo setup ... will it sound ok ??? I want to connect digital sources to the amp and I don't want to use a DAC ...

Would tend to agree, an improvement over your present CA amp would require a substantial investment if you stick with the AV, focusing on the companies that have a good audio pedigree, like Arcam, Rotel, Linn or Krell, but I would suggest that none of the Onkyo range is going to provide a substantial improvement in the stereo arena that you require.

Be aware also that the DAC route will require careful consideration with regard to inputs if you want to connect a number of items at the same time as many have a limited number of inputs, but they are out there...good luck.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Red Dragon said:
mihaipopm8 said:
Hi.

Would tend to agree, an improvement over your present CA amp would require a substantial investment if you stick with the AV, focusing on the companies that have a good audio pedigree, like Arcam, Rotel, Linn or Krell, but I would suggest that none of the Onkyo range is going to provide a substantial improvement in the stereo arena that you require.

Be aware also that the DAC route will require careful consideration with regard to inputs if you want to connect a number of items at the same time as many have a limited number of inputs, but they are out there...good luck.
Woul

This website drives me mad...sorry...

Had a complete answer typed out, can't be bothered doing it again...but in summary...AV will require substantial investment to improve on present amp...likes of Arcam, Rotel, Linn, Krell etc...not Onkyo !!

DAC with lots of inputs required...make sure it has what you need...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Red Dragon said:
Red Dragon said:
mihaipopm8 said:
Hi.

Woul

This website drives me mad...sorry...

Had a complete answer typed out, can't be bothered doing it again...but in summary...AV will require substantial investment to improve on present amp...likes of Arcam, Rotel, Linn, Krell etc...not Onkyo !!

DAC with lots of inputs required...make sure it has what you need...

Your reply is all there, it's just inside the other guy's quote marks.

IE7 or 8 by any chance?

A

Anonymous

WinterRacer said:
Manufacturing economies of scale and competition in the AV section is fierce giving good value for money. AV receivers come with plenty of facilities you might like, e.g., Network streaming, facility to bi-amp the main speakers, plus they usually have plenty of power which is not to be underestimated.

Have a listen and make your own mind up.
Fine, but they still sound rubbish, and that's what HiFi is all about.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Think it is unanimous I recently went to a separate stereo from an AV with separate power amplification that was good for stereo but still was not as good as a dedicated stereo setup. The DAC's in AV amps are not bad it is more the Pre am and amp stages that can let them down for stereo replay.

What is your budget? The new Audiolab CDQ or upcoming DQ may be worth a listen.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Grottyash said:
Fine, but they still sound rubbish, and that's what HiFi is all about.

What all of them? Compared to what, all stereo amps? Is this what you've heard in a blind test or based on what you've read in hi-fi mags?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
To the OP, sorry for the thread drift, as I think you've got a fine amp and adding a DAC would seem to make more sense than replacing it with an AV receiver.

However, I don't agree with the idea that an AV receiver must sound rubbish just because it's an AV receiver. If they offer the facilities you want give one a listen.

A

Anonymous

WinterRacer said:
To the OP, sorry for the thread drift, as I think you've got a fine amp and adding a DAC would seem to make more sense than replacing it with an AV receiver.

However, I don't agree with the idea that an AV receiver must sound rubbish just because it's an AV receiver. If they offer the facilities you want give one a listen.
I repeat, HiFi is about sound quality. AV Receivers fall down badly in this respect. So, if you only want a 2 channel system, why even consider something that can't satisfy the minimum criteria?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Grottyash said:
I repeat, HiFi is about sound quality. AV Receivers fall down badly in this respect. So, if you only want a 2 channel system, why even consider something that can't satisfy the minimum criteria?

How do you know this? Who's minimum criteria? In what way do they fall down badly? Can you show me the measurements that prove and quantify this?

A

Anonymous

The minimum criteria is sound quality, otherwise known as High Fidelity - there's a hint in the name of the magazine and the forum.If you deny this, then there's no point continuing. Enjoy your AV, although, on an afternoon like this, I'd rather be outside.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
WinterRacer said:
Grottyash said:

How do you know this? Who's minimum criteria? In what way do they fall down badly? Can you show me the measurements that prove and quantify this?

Have to agree WinterRacer, all AV amps aren't rubbish and to generalise that they do shows a complete lack of understanding. The OP should know as he has one of the better stereo sounding AV amps available in that price range, and is better than some integrated amps at a similar price imo. And I would also suggest the the Arcam AV amps are highly regarded in the stereo audio department too !!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
mihaipopm8 said:

I am reading this thread a little late but I am very surprised that there are people out there even considering suggesting an AV Receiver when you really need to add Digital inputs to your existing 2 channel set up.

To all who question the performace of AV Receiver vs DAC with an Integrated amp in 2 channel - Yes I have tried & tried & tried. The only AV Receiver that came even close is Arcam AVR 600. If that is your budget may be that can help but I still think it is counter productive.

DAC it is. That is all you need and you can add the one with multiple inputs. If you are happy with CA then their DACMagic is the best value for Money DAC and I guess it have several Digital inputs.

OP - Please remember that this recommendation is only for 2 channel Stereo Music set up. At any point of time, you want to have movie set up, decoding etc then the whole thing needs to be looked diferently

A

Anonymous

dont know how this thread has lasted so long. for music its easily stereo amp over av. obviously not every single stereo amp is better tham every av one but on the massive whole its a no brainer. about year ago i tried diff av's, bought a 1000 av that was not a scratch on my existing nad.

use this forum for good amp recommends. I'd add ebay 2nds, patience and the audiolab cdq. but then you need to buy power separatly so price is an issue. but for amazing sound a great dac and upgradability and an awesome cd player the CDQ gets a big thumbs up from me.

good luck and happy listening

kit - Monitor Audio GR60 speakers, MA RSW12 sub, Audiolab 8200 CDQ, audiolab 8000 mono's,Chord Epic, wireworld oasis, AppleMac

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
WishTree said:
mihaipopm8 said:

I am reading this thread a little late but I am very surprised that there are people out there even considering suggesting an AV Receiver when you really need to add Digital inputs to your existing 2 channel set up.

To all who question the performace of AV Receiver vs DAC with an Integrated amp in 2 channel - Yes I have tried & tried & tried. The only AV Receiver that came even close is Arcam AVR 600. If that is your budget may be that can help but I still think it is counter productive.

DAC it is. That is all you need and you can add the one with multiple inputs. If you are happy with CA then their DACMagic is the best value for Money DAC and I guess it have several Digital inputs.

OP - Please remember that this recommendation is only for 2 channel Stereo Music set up. At any point of time, you want to have movie set up, decoding etc then the whole thing needs to be looked diferently

Surely that's a complete waste of money as the AV amp the OP is using already contains the same DAC's that are used in the DACMagic ??!! He would have to be looking at a more substantial DAC like the rDac from Arcam for a start...

A

Anonymous

Red Dragon, if you read the first post you'll see the OP is using a two channel amp, not an AV one.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mihaipopm8 said:
I want to connect digital sources to the amp and I don't want to use a DAC ...

What is your budget and how many digital sources need connecting?

If you need to connect a number of digital sources then I would go for a good AV receiver (Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo etc.)

If you are happy with one digital optical input then I can recommend the Marantz M-CR603. As well as having the optical digital input, it also has an ethernet connection for internet radio and a front mounted USB that is iPod/iPhone enabled. (And charges too.)

It includes a CD player, FM, DAB tuners and internet radio and has an output for a sub and two spare sets of RCA inputs. (Aux 2 and Aux 3)

You can add AirPlay for £39 to use iTunes from (suitably compatible versions of) iPod Touch/iPhone/your computer.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Grottyash said:
The minimum criteria is sound quality, otherwise known as High Fidelity - there's a hint in the name of the magazine and the forum.If you deny this, then there's no point continuing. Enjoy your AV, although, on an afternoon like this, I'd rather be outside.

Thanks, I now understand how to select any future audio equipment purchases, i.e., if it's called Hi-Fi, it must be!

I have to admit I don't own an AV system, but thanks for the suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts