LonsdaleMBM

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a newbie to this and am looking to get my first separates system.

All of my music is digital and is on my PC or on my smartphone. I also like to stream music a lot. My main types of music are techno drum n bass and rock.

My overall budget is £1,000 to £1,100.

From what I've seen, the Tannoy Revolution DC6T floorstanding speakers have had really good reviews, and are available for around £400.

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a suitable amp? Other than the amp and cables, I think that would be me all set, since I don't need a CD player (no CDs anymore!). Is that correct?

Sorry for the novice questions - I've done some reading but i gues nothing spells it out enough for me!

Thanks

David

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello David and welcome to the forum.

If you're streaming music from a PC/laptop, you'd also benefit from a USB DAC. This could be included in the amp. And there are some nice DAC-amps around now with great functionality, e.g. including Spotify and internet radio. Marantz and Yamaha are good places to start.

Matt

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
One suggestion springs to mind:

The Rotel RA-12 amplifier with some B&W 685s2 speakers. On budget, a good match sonically, the RA-12 has a USB input to connect straight to your computer and a Bluetooth adapter is included so that you can stream music from your smartphone.

You could substitute the B&W's for the Tannoys but make sure you listen to them first.

rainsoothe

hey

for what it's worth, I auditioned the DC6T SE and they were ok, but not as wonderful as the hype was suggesting them to be. My point is not to take anything from the Tannoys, but to emphasize how important auditioning actually is - your ears WILL make the best judge.

With that in mind, my sugested combos for your budget (well a bit above, but dealers make good offers sometimes, or you can find ex-dem units at good discounts) would be these:

- Arcam FMJ A19 + B&W 685 S2 or KEF LS50 + Micromega Mydac (the B&Ws are better for your type of music if you ask me)

- Micromega Myamp + Q Acoustics 2050i (the micromega has an inbuilt usb dac - few boxes, no fuss)

- Exposure 2010 S2 + B&W 685 S2 + Arcam irDac

- Naim Nait 5si + B&W 685 S2 + Arcam irDac or Micromega Mydac (this is the most expensive sollution, and would only be available if you're really lucky with finding a discount - only reason I'm mentioning for your budget is that currently, in my city, there is such a promo, with the Nait 5si only costing like 600 pounds)

- Maverick Audio Tube Magic Plus (preamp with dac, variable volume line outs and headphone amp - if you wanna check this route, mind you there's an option to upgrade the opamps and the tubes at the factory, and all reports say the upgrade package is completely worth it) + Adam A5X. This option is only viable if you don't mind pro-studio looks and a very revealing presentation - aka it will make you wanna kill poor recordings and mp3s, but otherwise it sounds the bomb. For a desktop sollution THIS would defenately be my preference.

And again, audition or hometrial everything on your shortlist, especially the amps and speakers. Goodluck.

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
If the OP's thinking of DC6Ts, chances are a desktop system isn't under consideration!

Maybe a little off the wall, but how about the powerful-sounding and slick-looking Peachtree Decco65? Partner it with an Arcam MiniBlink to stream from your handheld things, and you're done!

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
- Micromega Myamp[/b] + Q Acoustics 2050i[/b] (the micromega has an inbuilt usb dac - few boxes, no fuss)

Did you read hifi choice spetember issue review? They really liked the myamp a lot ! In october they group tested many similar amps but sadly they didnt not include the myamp. But reading between the lines it would be better then the teac wich ended second after the great Quad Vienna so the my amp might actually be the very best of its category and I would really trust the inner dac too.

I really approve most of your recommendation, they make sense !

My own would be M-Audio m3-8 (owner experience here) with matrix mini dac preamp (it has DSD + balanced output and volume does not only control the headphone out).

rainsoothe

tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
If the OP's thinking of DC6Ts, chances are a desktop system isn't under consideration!

True, but the Adams aren't only for desktop use, I was just mentioning that from my perspective. I also suggested mainly standmounts because imo with this budget standmounts are a bit better IF not needed to fill a huge room, and at least the B&Ws and the Adams can hit really hard.

Oh, btw, forgot to add Creek Evolution 50A, XTZ 93.23 mkii and Neat Iotas. Audition those as well if you can.

rainsoothe

pyrrhon said:
Did you read hifi choice spetember issue review?

I did, that's why I'm recommending it - i haven't heard it, but from their comparison to the Nad D 3020 I sort of get how the Micromega sounds and that's why I'm recommending it - it seems like a great value product for what it gives you. And I'm recommending for it to be auditioned, so no harm done :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts