Amp case for iPhone 6

Tom97

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I recently pre-ordered the SoundFocus Amp case for my iPhone 6. It has a built in 24-bit DAC and headphone amplifier, but I'm wondering if it'll actually improve the quality of the audio through my headphones that much. It's much more convenient than carrying around an external DAC and amplifier, which is one of the reasons I got it. I'm currently using a set of Vmoda crossfade LPs, which aren't great, so I'll be getting a £200-£300 pair very soon (probably something like sennheiser momentum over-ear). Because I'm using Tidal streaming, which uses FLAC, I want to optimise the sound quality without spending a ridiculous amount. My questions is, is the Amp case, combined with a £200-£300 set of headphones, enough to get HiFi (or close to) quality audio? If not, is there a portable and iPhone compatible DAC that I could use instead?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

The Soundfocus case seems like a bad idea. For their price, the DAC cannot be good enough for high-res music. The Oppo HA-2 at $300 USD or £260 GBP is bare minimum for improved sound quality for the iphone6 (which itself is far better than the iphone5 and below).

As to their sound "tailoring", I would avoid that unless you see an audiologist first.

Tom97

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. If the Amp case doesn't really cut it then I might just cancel my order. I was also looking at the Sony MDR-1ADAC headphones, which seem to be a good compromise as they are both headphones and an external DAC. Sony claims they support HiFi quality music, which is good. Only I can't seem to find a review of them anywhere. The DAC you recommended looks great, but £250 on that plus £300 on headphones and £20 a month on music is a bit over my budget. I would like better audio but if I could improve what I have now for less than £400 that would be optimal. It doesn't have to be audiophile grade HiFi music, just better than standard MP3 with £80 headphones.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The DAC in your iphone6 is better than the DAC in that Sony. The only thing that Sony would do is degrade your sound.

Edit: The v-moda LP has a heavy treble recess, and with the Momentum the difference you'll hear is very dramatic. A new DAC, even a very good one, will make only 1/000 the difference that the headphone makes.

BTW, 1/1000 is not an exaggeration - it's 30 db, which is about right.

Tom97

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Ah okay. I'll probably just get a new set of headphones for the time being. Probably the Momentums. Then get the Oppo HA-2 down the like. Thanks for your help.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Tom97 said:
Ah okay. I'll probably just get a new set of headphones for the time being. Probably the Momentums. Then get the Oppo HA-2 down the like. Thanks for your help.

You'll love the HA-2 - I love mine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts