Question Amp and Speaker or Just Speaker Upgrade ATC/Proac

PapaPhil

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi all - just after a bit of "bang for the buck advice" I have £2.5k to spend towards upgrading my hi-fi and want to replace my Monitor Audio Silver 1 Speakers. So for approx £2.5 I can either replace the speakers for Proac response DB1 (£2550) and use my current map (Cambridge Audio Azur 651a 70w - happy with it tbh) or get some ATC SC11 speakers (£1650) and spend the balance on a new 100w amp as the ATCs would, I'm led to believe extra Watts to do them justice. Thanks.

Hi all - just after a bit of "bang for the buck advice" I have £2.5k to spend towards upgrading my hi-fi and want to replace my Monitor Audio Silver 1 Speakers. So for approx £2.5 I can either replace the speakers for Proac response DB1 (£2550) and use my current map (Cambridge Audio Azur 651a 70w - happy with it tbh) or get some ATC SC11 speakers (£1650) and spend the balance on a new 100w amp as the ATCs would, I'm led to believe extra Watts to do them justice. Thanks.
Can you get to audition these speakers?
There are plenty of alternatives, why these two?
NB the ATC can be had for £1520 at certain dealers

Reactions: DougK1

Witterings

Monitor Audio's are generally known to be quite bright, that may be a sound you like so I'd definitely get a home trial before making a decision.
I'd also only make one change at a time, if you change them both and don't like it you've no idea if that's down to the speakers or the amp.

I tried Monitor Audio Silver 300's and ended up with ProAc's instead.

TRENDING THREADS