Am I weird?

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Dearest forum users,

As you share the same passion and love for music, can you please put me out of my misery in regards to my friends thinking I'm weird because of my musical taste. Below is a short list from my phone and variety of what I listen to, anyone else out there with a similar range like that?

Cinematic Orchestra

Moby

2 Pac

Aesop Rock

Alborosie

Alix Perez

Arctic Monkeys

Bloc Party

Boy 8-Bit

Braintax

Calibre

Chase & Status

Chemical Brothers

Coldplay

Collie Buddz

Crystal Method

Cunninlynguists

Dave Spoon

Dead Can Dance

Deadmau5

Deftones

DMX

Editors

Ghost

Gorillaz

Groove Armada

Hard-Fi

High Contrast

Immortal Technique

Incubus

Jack Johnson

Jamiroquai

Jedi Mind Tricks

Jehst

Joris Voorn

Justin Timberlake

Kasabian

Leftfield

Lemon Jelly

Limp Bizkit

Linkin Park

Massive Attack

Matisyahu

Minilogue

Michael Jackson

Ms Dynamite

Radiohead

Rage Against The Machines

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

RJD2

Roots Manuva

T-Pain

The Postal Service

Thievery Corporation

Thomas Newman

Paul.

from your list, I have on my phone...

Moby

Aesop Rock

Chemical Brothers

Crystal Method

Deftones

DMX

Gorillaz

Groove Armada

Leftfield

Lemon Jelly

Linkin Park

Massive Attack

Radiohead

Rage Against The Machines

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

RJD2

Roots Manuva

Thievery Corporation

Ill see that lot, raid you some Hardcore Techno form the early 90's, chipbreak, enya mashed up with prodigy, ace of base, and some anime theme music

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
haha yep, Ace of Base, Prodigy and DJ Shadow for my anime theme music. You heard Water by Aesop Rock? Isn't that one of the most amazing hip hop tunes of all time?!

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with eclectic tastes. My phone can leap from Miss Saigon to Dizzee Rascal via Nickleback, Green Day and the Beautiful South taking in some Radiohead, and Journey on the way.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
A broad scope gives more options according to mood. Needless to say I have a different but just a varied mix.

I can think of nothing more boring than having a huge collection by only one band, or even one style.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm always being accused of being weird based on my musical tastes, but it's usually by people who've never heard the music I listen to. You like who you like, nothing can be done about that. I have quite a lot that's on your list, and Paul likes a lot of it too.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Paul Hobbs:
'Water' is great, I also love 'No Regrets' and 'five fingers'. I think my favourite has to be 'Daylight' though.

You listen to much Abdominal?

Sorry Paul, I have heard of Abdominal but not heard his music. Canadian rapper right?

See another thing I find, especially with Pop music thats on the radio nowadays is that it all sounds the same. Inregards with lyrics, theres nothing vibrant about it. Lady GaGa, I mean someone please....next time I hear a tune from her on the TV or radio, just shoot me.

Oooh another thing on the subject of musical taste, at my age...people find it surprising when I listen to UB40 and Kool and the Gang, obvious influence from mum and dad. Jean Michael Jarre, my word I can't believe his music is now nearly 40 years old!!!

matthewpiano

I listen to all sorts. Here is a sample:

Van der Graaf Generator

Barclay James Harvest

Arnold Schoenberg

Oscar Peterson

The Unthanks

Scarlatti

Villagers

Midlake

Queen

Les Miserables

Metallica

Mahler

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers

Nat King Cole

Chopin

Portishead

Johnny Cash

As a musician I have given solo piano recitals, concerto performances, played keyboards in a rock band, played piano in a swing band, played in the pit of several stage productions etc. I love having eclectic tastes. In my opinion labels are not useful in music. Good music is good music whatever genre or tradition it is from.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
THE LHC wrote " We have so little in common, which is re-assuring... "

Brilliant quip old chap, definately Adderesque, in fact almost Everardian in dryness!
smiley-smile.gif
ROFL

nads

Depeche Mode

New Model Army

ABBA

Everything but the Girl

Prefab Sprout

Kate Bush

Nightwish

Moby

The Knife

The Cure

Johnny Cash

Gorillaz

Eminem

Faithless

Japan

Katie Melua

The The

Blondie

Muse

Garbage

Tom Jones

Enya

UB40

The Psychedelic Furs

The Cardigans

Lisa Miskovsky

Joe Cocker

Electric Light Orchestra

Placebo

The Wonder Stuff

Madness

Mark Knopfler

Marillion

Björk

Norah Jones

P!nk

The Sisters of Mercy

Pixies

Rammstein

Roy Orbison

Coldplay

Anastacia

Green Day

The Killers

Massive Attack

Goldfrapp

Titiyo

Paramore

The B-52's

Kraftwerk

U2

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Iggy Pop

The White Stripes

Shania Twain

Eagles

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Pat Benatar

Snow Patrol

The Smiths

Bad Manners

Pop Will Eat Itself

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Siouxsie and the Banshees

Madonna

Wyclef Jean

In Flames

Travis

Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Dido

Portishead

Frank Black

Alison Moyet

Jamiroquai

Bob Marley

Ramones

Lisa Stansfield

Guns N' Roses

Morrissey

AC/DC

Sade

Dire Straits

Anna Ternheim

Ultravox

Sigur Rós

Kylie Minogue

Diana Krall

Men at Work

Manic Street Preachers

Donna Summer

Gwen Stefani

Eurythmics

Martha and the Muffins

Joy Division

The Cranberries

Pink Floyd

Ian Brown

Visage

Cyndi Lauper

theraaaven

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
just looked at my phone music and thought...............

alanis morrisette - alice in chains - alison krauss - alison williams - Angus and Julia - Apocalyptica

Blind Melon - Bloodhound Gang - Bolt Thrower - Bush - CW Stoneking - Counting Crows - Coal Chamber

Davis Holmes - Bentley Rythym Ace - Elvis - Disturbed - Fear Factory - Flogging Molly - Jeff Wayne - Kid British

James - Killswitch Engage 0 Linkin Park - Guns n Roses - Machine Head - Meatloaf - Nightwish - NIN - Nirvana - Paramore

Peaches - Pearl Jam - Placebo - Porupine Tree - Rammstein - Sheila Nicholls - Sia - Holst Planets - Stone temple Pilots - Tad

Tara - The Pgues - Bad Shepherds - Black Eyed peas - crystal method - The doors - Prodigy - Rolling stones - the streets - wiyos - vast - vex red

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I don't think your taste is weird at all, just a little diverse, but still quite mainstream really.

I used to be very closed-minded to any music other than what I liked, but I learnt about other music from working in record shops, now I hate the band I used to love, and love a wide variety of musical styles.

Glenn Campbell, Frank Sinatra, Discharge, The Exploited, Flying Saucer Attack, Pan Sonic, The Birthday Party, Miles Davis, Jimmy Smith, Richie Havens, Hovercraft, Nick Drake, Francoise Hardy, Jackie Mittoo, The Meters, Can, Neu, Public Enemy, Steve Stoll, AC/DC and many many more are included in my collection.

Variety is the spice of life, keep listening, keep looking for something new, and ignore your small minded friends, for they know nothing about music.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I don't think your taste is weird at all, just a little diverse, but still quite mainstream really.

I used to be very closed-minded to any music other than what I liked, but I learnt about other music from working in record shops, now I hate the band I used to love, and love a wide variety of musical styles.

Glenn Campbell, Frank Sinatra, Discharge, The Exploited, Flying Saucer Attack, Pan Sonic, The Birthday Party, Miles Davis, Jimmy Smith, Richie Havens, Hovercraft, Nick Drake, Francoise Hardy, Jackie Mittoo, The Meters, Can, Neu, Public Enemy, Steve Stoll, AC/DC and many many more are included in my collection.

Variety is the spice of life, keep listening, keep looking for something new, and ignore your small minded friends, for they know nothing about music.

Thanks Big Earnard, yes that list was mostly my mainstream stuff but it was just an idea to show variety. Old Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, Public Enemy and Ray Charles.

1 thing I wanted to know is how everyone can afford to buy all the albums & singles? Is it just a case of buying 3 or 4 a month over a period of years? Because if it is, I'm going to start that right now!

TRENDING THREADS