Am I the only one who was dissapointed by the new Star Trek film?

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
Like all Star Trek fans I was looking forward to the new film.

However I rapidly became aware that the films was redefining all/most of the parameters that made the TOS/TNG great. The reason being that the film makers wanted to make star trek more relevant to todays younger generations.

Star Trek holds quite a unique position in that most people know Star Trek even if you don't like it. Everyone has head of Captain Kirk for instance. This makes the previously created boundaries (started in TOS and developed in TNG,DS9,Voyeger,Enterprise and the many previous films) important and not available to the whole sale changes that this new film does. I don't want to put people off this film as you should make your own mind up.

I would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts.

A

Anonymous

I thought the new film was superb. It might not meet all Trekky requirements in terms of history and accuracy but the characters were very well portrayed and the film meshed together rather well (Perhaps with the exception of Scotty who seemed a little out of place. Still, he was great). The story was clever in how it leaves so much open for the future too. As a luke-warm Trekky, I'd give it 9/10.

A

Anonymous

What is Star Trekk (about)?

As a non-Trekky, could this film interest me?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Have to say I loved it. As did our Dep Ed, Dom. Sure, the plot got a bit silly in places, and Simon Pegg as Scotty was a bit OTT, but otherwise great.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
momo72: What is Star Trekk (about)?

It's about 1 k...

Dunno, do you generally have any interest in things that happen in outer space?

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:

momo72: What is Star Trekk (about)?

It's about 1 k...

Dunno, do you generally have any interest in things that happen in outer space?

Does one need background knowledge of the Star Trek saga in order to follow what's going on or who the protagonists are/what they're up to? As I said, I know zilch about the Trek. Oh yes, guy with pointy ears. Still in the movie?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
momo72:Does one need background knowledge of the Star Trek saga in order to follow what's going on or who the protagonists are/what they're up to? As I said, I know zilch about the Trek.

Well it's a prequel, designed to re-introduce the characters, as played bby a bunch of people you've probably never heard of, so no, I'd imagine it's pretty accessible to non-fans.

Oh yes, guy with pointy ears. Still in the movie?

Yup, he's in it. Twice.

T

the record spot

Not seen it yet, but might do today. If anything, it might even be a good way to start off watching the whole thing from; this, then the original series, TNG, Voyager, Deep Space Nine, Enterprise...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Surely, if being strictly chronological, you'd need to watch Enterprise first?
emotion-15.gif

(Mind you, that could put you off the whole, er, enterprise...)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I haven't seen 'Star Trek' yet, but I saw 'Wolverine' last night and was dissappointed with that. In fact, all big blockbuster comic book or action movies have left me feeling like that for a few years now. The last one I can think of that I really enjoyed was 'Spiderman 2'.

I get excited about all these films, but, when it comes to viewing them, at some point during the film I get bored and disengage, having the feeling that I've seen it all before.

'Wolverine' wasn't a bad film, but I found myself clock watching after the first hour.

Is anyone else feeling this way? or am I the only one that is comic book movied-out?

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
As a prequel, it doesn't/can't work as it completely changes the timeline.Wiping out the second most important Federation race - how can the TOS episode "Spoke Amoke" work for instance, Tuvok (Voyager) now doesn't exist etc..

It also suffered the same problem that Enterprise had in that the "heroes" where all young inexperienced put in a situation that their training only barely prepared them for. In the series Kirk was at least 10 years older the say Checkov,and had a number of years experience under his belt. All the characters would have passed through the academy at different times and if its anything like the arms service in this country/America, they wouldn't have meet up with each other prior to being on the Enterprise (TOS).Given the size of space, star fleet would have been massive with alot of personal.

All the background and culture built up in the all the TV episodes/films- the rich tapestry and history has effectively been torn up and thrown in the bin.

As a science fiction action film it great but as a science fiction film with the name star trek - well.More action less content. The idea of a realy big super nova need a black hole to protect a planet is very laughable. If it was that big its explosion would have created a black hole of its own.

In my opinion it was thin, the characters seem very 2 dimensional and Checkov was plain irritating !

I just saw "The Wrath of Khan" a few day ago on TV, that pushed the boundaries of the Star Trek theme in a constructive way without actually causing damaged.Watching TWOK really showed how bad Star trek was.

I didn't even like their take on the Enterprise- how ugly! And whats with an engine room that looks like the inards of a Midland factory from the 1960's. When you build a ship surly you must be cleaver with how you utilize the available storage space in the ship. The engine room was cavernous with a lot of empty space.

I didn't like the bridge, it didn't seem like that was the nerve centre of the ship.

I hope they don't make any more films! This is of cause only my very subjective opinion

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Still haven't seen the new film (guess it'll be the Blu-ray for me then!), but after sitting through the series-5 finale of Lost last night, my feelings toward JJ Abrams are somewhat ambivalent right now. Series 6 better be mindblowingly good, or I may have to send him a bill for all the hours of my life i've wasted watching!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Anton90125:As a prequel, it doesn't/can't work as it completely changes the timeline.Wiping out the second most important Federation race - how can the TOS episode "Spoke Amoke" work for instance, Tuvok (Voyager) now doesn't exist etc.. It also suffered the same problem that Enterprise had in that the "heroes" where all young inexperienced put in a situation that their training only barely prepared them for. In the series Kirk was at least 10 years older the say Checkov,and had a number of years experience under his belt. All the characters would have passed through the academy at different times and if its anything like the arms service in this country/America, they wouldn't have meet up with each other prior to being on the Enterprise (TOS).Given the size of space, star fleet would have been massive with alot of personal. All the background and culture built up in the all the TV episodes/films- the rich tapestry and history has effectively been torn up and thrown in the bin. As a science fiction action film it great but as a science fiction film with the name star trek - well.More action less content. The idea of a realy big super nova need a black hole to protect a planet is very laughable. If it was that big its explosion would have created a black hole of its own. In my opinion it was thin, the characters seem very 2 dimensional and Checkov was plain irritating ! I just saw "The Wrath of Khan" a few day ago on TV, that pushed the boundaries of the Star Trek theme in a constructive way without actually causing damaged.Watching TWOK really showed how bad Star trek was. I didn't even like their take on the Enterprise- how ugly! And whats with an engine room that looks like the inards of a Midland factory from the 1960's. When you build a ship surly you must be cleaver with how you utilize the available storage space in the ship. The engine room was cavernous with a lot of empty space. I didn't like the bridge, it didn't seem like that was the nerve centre of the ship. I hope they don't make any more films! This is of cause only my very subjective opinion

Well, I never was a trekkie' in fact I don't think I've seen a single episode or film, but I had thought about going to see this.
You done a good job of putting me off going. Our local's usually got some moron using his phone and ruining the film for everyone so I'll wait until the Blu ray comes out.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Still haven't seen the new film (guess it'll be the Blu-ray for me then!), but after sitting through the series-5 finale of Lost last night, my feelings toward JJ Abrams are somewhat ambivalent right now. Series 6 better be mindblowingly good, or I may have to send him a bill for all the hours of my life i've wasted watching!

That doesn't sound good - I'm watching it tonight. I have to say series 5 has just not grabbbed me at all - I let 7 episodes slip by before managing to catch up over the past couple of weeks. Compare that to previous series when I was sad enough to follow the Lost forum discussions straight after each episode!

Anway, back on topic... erm, well, haven't watched Star Trek since the original I grew up with as a kid, so it's all lost on me (terrible pun)...

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm assuming the film sets up an alternative timeline, otherwise, as Anton90215 says, it doesn't fit in with the series, or the other films.

I believe the filmmakers are saying it's a 'reboot', which means that everything that has happened before in the Star Trek universe is not necessarily guaranteed to happen again or with the same outcome (from imdb.com).

(By they way, I'm not saying I agree with it!)

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome:
Surely, if being strictly chronological, you'd need to watch Enterprise first?
emotion-15.gif

(Mind you, that could put you off the whole, er, enterprise...)

Well, I thought that, but I think that series fits nicely where it should, out on a limb, etc...!

And the theme tune, what the hell was Brannon Braga thinking of!

Anyway, saw the movie on Saturday and loved it; clever take on reworking the timeline to set up the plotline for the movie. Thought the guy who played Bones was spot on, and the guy that played Kirk absolutely nailed Shatner's mannerisms at the end, when he walks out the turbolift and onto the bridge (where he's wearing the captain's yellow shirt for the first time). To a tee.

The ship looked fantastic, the scale of the thing was fabulous, a good enemy albeit with a bit of a weak link in the underlying plot, but easily 9/10.

One annoyance - Simon Pegg's Scotty. OTT and a poor accent.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I thought Chekovs accent was more annoying. In the Voyage Home (Star trek IV - the one with the whales) Walter Koenig's "V"/ "W" mis-pronunciation in "Nuclear Wessels" had a humorous edge to it. Anton Yelchin over exaggerated "V"/ "W" just grated.

I could live with Simon Peggs character more easily.

Its interesting that you liked the design of the ship. I thought it looked quite chunky when compared to the TOS or the films.

Don't let my opinion sway anyone from seeing it - especially as I am in the minority. See it for yourself then watch the "The Wrath of Khan" (the only bad bit in that film is the corny bagpipes bit at the end).

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I thought Star Trek was one of the best films I've seen in a long while - thrilling, humerous and entertaining from the moment it starts; damn fine entertainment.

A

Anonymous

hunnyy:I thought Star Trek was one of the best films I've seen in a long while - thrilling, humerous and entertaining from the moment it starts; damn fine entertainment.

Totally agree. Even the humour was good - for me, Karl Urban's Bones was a superb 'homage' to the original.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I just watched a short star trek film on the internet.Its an independent low budjet affair with a number of Star trek stars:

Nichelle Nichols:Uhuru (TOS)
Walter Koenig:Chekov (TOS)
Grace Lee Whitney:Janice Rand (TOS)
Alan Ruck:Captain John Harriman (Film Star trek Generations)
Chase Masterson:Leeta (DS9)
Gary Graham:Soval (Enterprise)
Garrett Wang:Harry Kim (Voyeger)
Ethan Phillips:Neelix (Voyeger)
J. G. Hertzler:General/ chanceler Martok (DS9)
Cirroc Lofton: Jake Sisko (DS9)

Tim Russ also was in it as Tuvok (Voyeger) he also directed it.

I quite enjoyed it- Google it and see for yourself

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas:hunnyy:I thought Star Trek was one of the best films I've seen in a long while - thrilling, humerous and entertaining from the moment it starts; damn fine entertainment. Totally agree. Even the humour was good - for me, Karl Urban's Bones was a superb 'homage' to the original.

What they said....

I fall into the 'not a trekky' camp but must have seen many of the original series several times over as a kid and having trekkies as flat mates through the nineties saw enough of Next Gen, DS9 and Voyager to have a rudimentary grasp of the Star Trek universe. I can understand the disappointment for the purists in this movie altering the timeline but I think it breathes new life into the franchise and leaves the way forward for more storylines with the original characters.

As for Pegg...just about bearable but why the Ewok-like sidekick - No!

Great entertainment.

Sliced Bread

Warning Star Trek spoiler alert (you have been warned):

I enjoyed the film, however I thought that the bit where Kirk is stranded on an almost lifeless ice planet and then bumps into Spock in some random cave just one coincidence too many...but that said, I thought it was quite good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts